(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: AUGUST 6, 2018
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block #8
- Items for our birthday! *see PROGRAM article below
- Katrina Lindley … August 4
- Ruth Goodman … August 9
- Lauren Metang … August 11
- Nancy Conner Smith … August 17
- Judy Meador … August 23
Our 25th birthday party was such fun! We had great food, fellowship and lots of fun at our auction. Thanks to everyone’s generosity, we were able to contribute $737 to the Grand Prairie Food and Clothing Co-Op, as well as 127 pounds of food. Thanks to everyone who brought items for the auction, who purchased items from the auction or donated money to the Co-Op. If, as part of your purchases, you ended up with books/magazines/patterns that you don’t want, there are a few things you could do with them. You could keep them for next year and bring them to the auction, you could donate them to the Grand Prairie Library Friends of the Library Sale, take them to Half Price Books and see if they would buy any of them, or see if any of your fellow Guild members would be interested in them.
Congratulations to Lillie for winning the President’s Challenge for her butterfly block. Thanks to everyone that participated. It was fun to see the creativity in your blocks using what I considered to be “ugly fabric.”
Keep cool and keep sewing! See you in August.
Welcome to our new (returning) members, Carol Franklin and Ruth Goodman.
The program August 6 will be on Redwork. Redwork has an interesting history and is fun to do. For our special show and tell, bring a Redwork quilt if you have one.
I am excited to tell you we have 137 pillowcases to donate to Ryan’s Case for Smiles.
The auction in July was a success! We had sooooo much stuff to sell that we were able to make a sizeable donation to the Grand Prairie Food and Clothing Co-op. Thanks to everyone bringing items to sell and to everyone who bought treasures during the auction.
See you in August.
Thanks to everyone for their generosity to the Food and Clothing Co-Op. We donated 127 pounds of food as well as $737 from auction proceeds and donations.
- July 2, 2018
- Meeting called to order
- President welcomed group to meeting
- Blessing said by Jane over meal and evening
- Guild dinner
- Approve Guild minutes as in the newsletter
- Approve Treasurer’s report as in the newsletter
- Filed for audit
- Barbara G 7/11;
- Barbara B 7/31
- Michelle’s dad / Shirley L.’s Husband is in the hospital again; Shirley L. is celebrating 52nd wedding anniversary
- Country Stitches, in Burleson, is closing. All fabric on sale.
- President’s challenge is closed. Lillie was chosen as the winner. All blocks were made into a quilt for donation to Arlington Cancer Center.
- Next rally day is Saturday July 14th – starts at 9 a.m.
- Guild members must have their membership card in order to get discounted admission.
- Members in attendance 31
- 2 new members: Ruth and Carol
- Failure to wear a name tag will result in a $.50 fine
- Items for the newsletter should be submitted to Paco By the 10th of the month
- Newsletter coming from firstname.lastname@example.org (Francisco=Paco)
- Newsletter items can be sent to Paco or Michelle
- Do not respond to e-mail blasts – be sure to e-mail the appropriate individual
- Block of the Month
- Moda Be My Neighbor
- Members shared the blocks they made
- Next month block 8
- Call Christine if you have any questions on directions
- Barn Quilt Workshop was a success. Will have another Barn Quilt Workshop early in 2019.
- Next workshop will be with the Twister Tool. Planning for August.
- Stitch group
- Stitch group is moved to First Presbyterian Church. 6 members attended.Next gathering will be 7/26/18
- Bring your own lunch
- Door Prizes – no door prizes this month due to auction
- Old business: None
- New business: None
- Show & Tell
- Michelle, Cathy
- 97 pillow cases received so far for donation to Ryan’s Case for Smiles – July 10th is last day to donate. Plan to deliver in early August
- Next month’s program: Redwork – bring show and tell of Redwork
- Tonight’s program: Annual Auction benefiting Grand Prairie Food and Clothing Co-Op
- Be sure to wear a name tag at our meetings. If you don’t wear a name tag, you will be charged 50 cents each time.
- Articles for the newsletter are due by the 10th of the month. Any articles not received by the 10th of the month may or may not get published in that month’s newsletter.
- The newsletter is published monthly usually within 10 days of the meeting date (first Monday of each month). You will receive an e-mail with a link to the website (qgogp.wordpress.com). All previous newsletters are archived on our website. You may also go to our Facebook page. Our newsletter link is posted there monthly. If, at any time, you cannot find your newsletter or have deleted the e-mail with the link, you could do an internet search for “quilter’s guild of grand prairie” to find our website.
- If you have a question about a program, a workshop, or the block of the month, be sure to contact the person(s) in charge of whatever you have a question about. The names, phone numbers and e-mails are all listed in the newsletter.
- Please silence your cell phone during our meetings.
BLOCK OF THE MONTH
The 2018 Block Party will follow a program from Moda that provided 16 “blueprint” block patterns that comprise the Moda Be My Neighbor quilt.
Quilt Guild members should have received an e-mail from email@example.com (Francisco Rodriguez) or firstname.lastname@example.org with the quilt’s fabric requirements and layout as well as the pattern for the second block.
The patterns and instructions are freely available on the web and will also be posted in the Guild’s website.
The blueprints are rendered in gray-scale to allow everyone to color their neighborhood using a wide variety of fabric and color choices. These are very scrappy blocks — mix your favorite fabric and colors to create your colorful neighborhood. There are 16 blocks in the quilt top. The quilt top measures 68 inches by 84 1/2 inches.
If you have any questions, please contact Christine.
- Beginning balance … $1,803.12
- Expenses — Eddlemon’s Birthday Meal … ($285.00)
- Deposits … $15.00
- Ending balance … $1,533.12