(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: OCT 1, 2012
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Door prizes for names beginning with L or M
I just love to come to the quilt meetings. I almost always learn something new. I loved seeing everyone’s favorite quilts that they brought and especially enjoyed hearing the stories that went along with them. Quilting serves many purposes. Every quilt means something different to the person who made it. And of course, it means something different to the person who receives it.
Thanks again for all the hard work on the donation quilts. I know lots of little kiddos will receive a warm feeling when they receive the quilt. Happy quilting!
- Pat Johnson … October 11
- Shara Hill-Scheibner … October 17
- Cathy Mullin … October 27
Our fall retreat is set for Friday, October 19 through Sunday, October 21st. So far 10 people have signed up. Cost is $40 per night plus tax and if you want to go, a $40 deposit will reserve your space. If you plan to go on Thursday, October 18th, this will make it a 3 night retreat.
Our program for October 1st will be a “Schoolhouse/Demo” program. There will be 4 stations and each station will be teaching something different. We will see paper piecing, curved piecing, binding and a couple of new rulers. Please make plans to attend.
Welcome to our September visitors, Linda and Katrina. We’re glad that you joined us and hope that you will come back to our October meeting.
Five of us participated in the Jelly Roll Workshop on September 8. If you didn’t get to come, the quilts were super easy to do and three of us finished the tops within the 3 1/2 hours of the workshop. Look for them during show-and-tell at the October meeting.
PEPPERMINT TABLE RUNNER WORKSHOP
Included in the newsletter (on page 3) are the fabric requirements for the tablerunner workshop on Saturday, December 8th from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Although the pattern calls for 2 fat quarters for applique, your pattern pieces are not nearly that big. Elisabeth recommends bringing some Christmas scraps as well; you may find something you can use there. Or, you can of course not do the applique at all.
Four logo design ideas were presented at the last meeting. Do you have a favorite?
(Quick poll, make selection and click “vote.”):
Beginning balance … 1235.01
Fleece … <98.93>
Ending balance … 1136.08
The nominating committee forms at the October meeting. The 1st Vice President (Programs) and the Membership Chair are automatically on the committee. Three people from the membership will round out the committee, and the committee will be looking for officers for 2013 to present to the membership at the November 5th meeting.
- Jane Lamb called the meeting to order with 15 members and 2 visitors present and asked Janis and Pat to tell a little about their entry into quilting.
- Margaret and Lillie have September birthdays and each chose a fat quarter as a gift.
- Jane asked that we remember Barbara and her family in the passing of her brother-in-law.
- The minutes were approved as printed and filed for audit. The treasurer’s report was filed for audit with a correction of the beginning balance ($1,235.01). After a check to Elisabeth for expenses on the fleece blankets we made, our bank balance is now $1,136.08.
- Marty, Carol, and Jane won door prizes.
- Michelle reported we have 10 signed up for the retreat in October. The retreat is Friday thru Sunday, but some of us will be going on Thursday for an extra day of sewing.
- Elisabeth announced that she took 64 blankets/quilts to Children’s hospital. Our next workshop will be held September 8th and will be a ½ day of sewing. The next workshop will be on December 8th. This will be a full day with lunch and we will be making a table runner.
- Grace won 12 blocks in the block-of-the-month drawing.
- New Business: Carol asked if we would like to purchase an ad in the syllabus for the Texas State Genealogical Society’s annual conference to be held in Fort Worth in October. Debi moved we purchase a $25 ad and Grace seconded. Discussion was held and the motion carried.
- Show & Tell: Grace, Elisabeth, Michelle, and Linda (visitor)
- Our October program will be a school house and there will be 4 classes. Tonight favorite quilts were brought by Shirley, Margaret, Debi, Michelle, Jane, Marty, Sue, Grace, Pat, Janis, and Elisabeth. Each told why these quilts mean a lot to them.
- Jeri won the program door prize.
- Following the program, the meeting was adjourned.
OCTOBER BLOCK PARTY
Pattern is on pages 3 of the newsletter.