Get the latest newsletter on PDF by clicking the image above.
(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: JULY 5, 2010
DOOR PRIZES: If your last name begins with A, B or C please bring a door prize to the April meeting and give it to Sue Heard This is a voluntary effort, but most of us like to receive a door prize and we hope everyone will participate. Please bring only quilting related items such as: Quilting Notions, fat quarters, triangle paper, magnetic pin holders, scissors, Pigma pens, etc.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Door prizes for A, B or C
- Block party block
- Items for the July program (read below)
No July birthdays
We have booked our next two retreats. The fall retreat is scheduled for October 22-24, 2010. Cost will be $40 per person per night plus tax. This does not include any food. If you are interested in going, I need your deposit as soon as possible.
Our spring retreat will be May 13 – 15, 2011 and will also be $40 per person per night plus tax. I will collect deposits for that in December.
If you have any questions, please let me know.
Join us Monday, July 5 for a delicious barbecue dinner including drinks and dessert from Eddlemon’s to celebrate our 17th birthday. Bring a few coins or dollars because we will have an orphan block/orphan project auction as our program. Bring orphan blocks, leftover blocks from a quilt, blocks you may have won at the block party one month that you have no plans to put together, or an orphan project that you don’’t want to finish but don’t want to throw away. Any size block is fine. We did this five years ago and had a great time. It will be fun to see what treasures you bring. The money earned will benefit the Grand Prairie Food Co-op.
Also bring non-perishable food for the food pantry. They always need canned goods, macaroni and cheese, peanut butter, cereal, or canned meats. Don’t bring foods that have expired dates on them.
For show and tell bring patriotic quilts or projects you’ve made.
See you July 5.
Elisabeth McMahon & Shirley Lewis
Our next workshop will be on Saturday, July 24th at First Presbyterian Church from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. This will be a charity workshop. We will work on making string quilts from Grace’s strips. She will have all the fabric and the foundation blocks for us to use. Come for an hour or two or come for the whole time. Any and all help will be appreciated. Lunch will be on your own or we will order out for the people there at lunch time.
Beginning balance: 1511.99
Disbursements (Stamps): (17.60)
Ending balance : 1494.39
- The June 7, 2010 meeting of the Grand Prairie Quilt Guild was called to order by Marty at 7 p.m. The minutes of the May meeting were approved as written in the newsletter.
- Treasurer’s Report: Remained the same as the May report.
- We had 19 members and 1 visitor present.
- Birthdays: Susan Hamilton and Grace Norris
- Shirley advised that our next meeting (July 5) will be our 17th anniversary. The motion was made by Grace and seconded by Jeri to have Eddlemons furnish a BBQ dinner and be paid for out of the Guild funds. Motion carried.
- Bring your Cash! The program will be an auction of “orphan blocks or projects.”
- Bring canned goods for the Food Pantry.
- Show & Tell, bring patriotic projects.
- August program will be a schoolhouse-demos by members.
- Block of the Month: Won by Nancy
- Next month’s block will be“State Fair”
- Workshop: July 24th, will be a charity workshop
- Retreat: October 22-24 — $40 per day, plus tax. The next one is planned for May 13-15 of 2011
- No old or new business.
- Door prizes: Carol, Jane, Sheila, Cathy, Elisabeth & Joan
- Show & Tell: The pillow cases were lovely and we had lots of other projects to see.
- Our program was brought by Peggy of Peggy’s Quilting Studio in Arlington with lots of interesting ideas for using all those different packs of pre-cut fabric.
- Meeting adjourned
JULY BLOCK PARTY
State Fair: Pattern is page 3 and the insert of the newsletter.