(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: OCTOBER 3, 2011
DOOR PRIZES: If your last name begins with R, S or V please bring a door prize to the September meeting and give it to Jeri Bush. This is a voluntary effort, but most of us like to receive a door prize and we hope everyone will participate. Please bring only quilting related items such as: Quilting Notions, fat quarters, triangle paper, magnetic pin holders, scissors, Pigma pens, etc.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Door prizes for R, S or V
I am writing this on the 10th of September and it has been all over the radio and TV about the 10th anniversary of the tragedy on September 11. It breaks my heart to see the families of those who perished. We certainly need to be thankful for our family and friends and a country that can recover from such a devastating event. Keep all those who lost loved ones in your heart and prayers. Till next month,
- Pat Johnson … October 11
- Shara Hill-Scheibner … October 17
- Cathy Mullin … October 27
Back by popular demand, we will have schoolhouse demos for our October 3 program. Some of our members have agreed to show us ways to ease our sewing frustrations or to show us new ideas for our quilt projects. Ruth will show us easy, perfect binding, Janis will show us tricks of applique, Marty will do a demo of the flying geese ruler and Nancy will show us how to do photo transfer. We’ll have about 10 minutes at each station. See you soon!
CHARITY QUILT UPDATE
Thanks to everyone who came to our September meeting and helped with the charity blankets for Children’s Medical Center. We were able to “fringe” 27 blankets. Big thanks to Janis Hill for volunteering to take these and the donated kids quilt to Children’s.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the charity quilt workshop in August. Grace reported that 7 quilts were completely finished and 2 just need backs. We are donating 4 to a local nursing home and will donate more as the need arises. Thanks to Barbara Burnaugh for taking these to the nursing home.
Beginning balance … 1226.75
Membership … 7.50
Ending balance … 1234.25
- The meeting was called to order at 7 pm by President Marty Staten.The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as printed in the monthly newsletter.
- Grace Norris, Treasurer, reported a beginning balance of $1,226.75 + $7.50 membership fee for a new balance of $1,234.25.
- There are two birthdays in the guild this month – Lillie Martinez and Margaret Alsup.
- Nineteen members and 1 visitor, Sandy Douglas, attended tonight’s meeting.
- Michelle Rodriguez reported that 11 ladies attended the workshop held August 22nd and 9 charity quilts (7 completed) were made. Grace asked the membership for permission to give 4 of these quilts to a local nursing home and all were in agreement. The other quilts will be given as need arises.
- Michelle also announced that there are 10 ladies signed up for the retreat in Weatherford to be held October 28, 29, 30. There are two openings if anyone else wishes to go.
- Lillie won the block of the month.
- Shirley Lewis reminded us that a nominating committee will be chosen next month as elections are in November.
- Door prizes were won by Shirley, Debi Cypert, and Elizabeth McMahon.
- Michelle, Margaret, Marty, Jeri Bush, Janis Hill, and Joan Vega shared finished project with the group.
- Shirley announced that our program in October will be a school house. She already has several ‘classes’ set up but could use a few more. If anyone is interested in teaching a class, please call Shirley.
- Following adjournment of the business meeting, we tied fleece blankets which will be taken to Children’s Hospital in Dallas. We completed 27 quilts for this endeavor.
OCTOBER BLOCK PARTY
Pattern is in on page 3 of the newsletter.
There is just a short time left to sign up for the Fall Retreat. Dates are October 28-30. Two spaces are still available. If you are interested in the retreat, please let me know.