(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: JULY 6, 2015
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Program items
Barbara Garner … July 11
Barbara Burnaugh … July 31
It’s July, and I would like to wish each of you a Happy Birthday. Our Guild is celebrating its 22nd birthday this month, and I hope each of you will be attending the birthday bash on July 6th. We should all be in a celebratory mood having just celebrated the birth of this great country we live in, so come to the meeting and lets have a great time! I have given myself a quilting birthday present — I organized my sewing room and found many hidden treasures. Some of these I was happy to find, others not so happy about. I will have to live to be 145 in order to make up all of the fabric I have and am looking forward to keep sewing along with those of you who will also still be quilting at that age. I know our children will be happy because we are making all of those quilts as they won’t have to feel guilty about giving away all of that fabric! I am looking forward to seeing each of you at the party/meeting and also to seeing your finished projects in the future.
See you on the 6th!
Welcome to our June visitor, Gail Raymond. We hope you will come back to visit us again! Also, welcome back to Shara HIll-Scheibner. She rejoined the Guild at the June meeting. Her information is as follows:
Address: 2622 Channing Drive
Grand Prairie, TX 75052
Birthday: October 17
- Sue called the meeting to order at 7:00.
- The Guild had 5 birthdays in June: Kathy Poole, Grace, Debora, Tori and Nancy Mills-Dickens.
- Remembrances: Christine’s daughter/Lauren’s sister, Ashley is in the hospital on bed rest due to pregnancy complications; Lillie’s sister passed away; Margaret had cataract surgery last week.
- The minutes of the May meeting were approved as printed in the newsletter.
- Barbara reported that the balance in the guild account is $1,425.64. The treasurer’s report was approved and will be filed for audit.
- Shirley reported we have 20 members present and 1 visitor, Gail Raymond. Gail found us from the business cards at the TAQG booth at the Dallas Quilt Show.
- Door prizes or quilt show tickets were won by Cathy Mullin, Barbara Burnaugh, Carrie Stanford, Shara Hill-Scheibner, Janice Overton, Grace Norris, Shirley Lewis and Jeri Bush.
- Michelle reminded us that the newsletter deadline is the 10th of the month. Fall Retreat in Weatherford is October 22-25.
- Janice Overton reported the next Workshop will be held on Saturday, June 6th. The workshop will be from 9:00 to 3:00. It is recommended that if you precut your fabrics be sure and label.
- Tory reported that the BOM theme for July is “Christmas in July” using the fractured four-patch. The June “It’s Raining Cats and Dogs” blocks (12 blocks) were won by Tory.
- Katrina reminded the guild that Rally Day is July 11th and is free to guild members (bring your membership card). Katrina was also selling tickets for the rally day basket, lunch tickets, etc. Our Guild donated several mini quilts to the auction and the TAQG website has them posted. Question was posed about advertising in the Rally Day program. Discussion followed and it was decided since we included business cards with our goody bag items, it was not necessary to advertise.
- There was no Old Business
- There was no New Business
- Grace, Shirley, Michelle, Barbara Burnaugh, Kathy Poole, and Janis Hill had show and tell.
- Grace reported that the “Stitch a Bit” group meets on the 4th Thursday – 9:30 to 3:30 at The Woods Methodist Church. June will be June 25th.
- Grace reported the next round of the Border Quilt is mitered borders (or you may choose straight borders). Instructions were distributed.
- The July program will be our birthday party. We voted to get meat from Eddlemon’s with all members bringing either a side or dessert. Officers should bring drinks. We will also collect canned goods and other nonperishables for the Grand Prairie Food & Clothing Co-Op. This time of year they especially need canned meat and peanut butter. Please no expired items. The entertainment at our meeting will be our Auction. Please bring your quilting related items that you no longer want. These can be brand new items, orphan blocks, partially made items, etc. All proceeds will go to the Grand Prairie Food & Clothing Co-Op. (More details are in a separate article in the newsletter).
- Our program for tonight was a baby shower for Carrie Stanford, who is expecting a baby boy in August. She received lots of nice things, refreshments were served, and a good time was had by all.
(for the traveling Debi Cypert)
A GREAT TIME (AND PLACE) TO QUILT!
How fortunate we are to live in the Metroplex area. As quilters we have great opportunities for inspiration and learning.
There are numerous quilt shows that offer great vendors and chances to see quilts of all shapes, sizes, and patterns. TAQG offers a chance to hear a national speaker and learn her particular techniques (especially if you attend the workshop offered). There are scores of quilt shops in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that offer just about anything we might need or want.
Most cities have a guild and most post their newsletters that we can read . We have chances to go on retreats to relax and quilt. Everyone at retreat is willing to assist or give opinions and ideas. I hope each of you takes advantage of at least a couple of the opportunities. Don’t forget the blogs and quilting related websites! Happy quilting!
In 2015 the Block of the Month will be a little different. Tory has picked out a pattern for a block. Each month you will make that block.
The difference between the months will be the theme. The theme for the July block is “Christmas in July” (see the picture of the blocks on the Guild’s Facebook page).
Each person should make the block using that theme, bring it to the meeting in July, and then be entered to win all the blocks that were turned in. In June, you will make the same block that you made in June, but with different fabrics — to go with the July theme.
If you have any questions, please contact Tory.
In July our Guild will be 22 years old! We always celebrate big at our July meeting and this year is no different. We will start off the evening with a delicious dinner – everyone should bring a side dish or dessert – and we will have meat from Eddlemon’s. Officers should bring drinks. We will be collecting canned goods and other non-perishables for the Grand Prairie Food & Clothing Co-Op. They especially need canned meat and peanut butter this time of year. Pay attention to the dates on your items as no expired items will be accepted.
After dinner we will have our annual Auction. Bring your treasured – or not so treasured items. All proceeds from the auction will go to the Co-Op. Janis Hill will be the auctioneer. She promises a night of fun. Clean out your sewing room and stash. Your “trash” will be someone’s new treasure. These items should be quilting and sewing related. Suggestions of items to bring: MONEY to spend, orphan blocks, books, magazines, fat quarters, kits, unfinished projects, tools, rulers, or any other quilting or sewing items you no longer want or need. If you bring fabric, please put a note with the yardage so people will know how much there is and try to bundle fabrics together that go together- that way we might get a bigger bid. If you bring a kit or ruler or other “big ticket” item, you may put an amount as a minimum bid that you want your item to go for – that way the kit you paid $50 for or that ruler you paid $20 for doesn’t sell for $2. If your item doesn’t sell for that minimum bid, you may take it home with you.
Let’s make this Auction the best one yet!
Beginning balance … $1,425.64
Deposits: $10 (Membership Dues)
Ending Balance … $1,435.64
1. Thanks everyone who donated mini-quilts for the silent auction at Rally Day. Check out the TAQG web site http://taqg.org/mini-quilts-2015-2/ There are pictures of several of our quilts. Our Guild made a fantastic showing. GREAT WORK LADIES!
2. The speaker for Rally Day 2015 is Kathy Dunigan, an expert on applique. Rally Day is the 2nd Saturday in July (July 11, 2015), at Mimosa Lane Baptist Church, 1233 Belt Line, Mesquite; from 9 am until 3:30 p.m. Admission is free, bring your membership card.
3. Katrina Lindley has Lunch tickets $10, and raffle tickets for the pre-rally day gift basket (includes a Janome sewing machine) $1 each, or 6 for $5 available for purchase. Please contact her if you are interested and missed her at the meeting. Everything has to be turned in by July 1, so call her ASAP if you want to purchase raffle tickets or order a lunch for Rally Day this year.
4. There are two workshops by Kathy Dunigan offered in conjunction with Rally Day. The first will be in Mesquite on Thursday and Friday, July 9&10. Kathy will teach the Baltimore Hanging Basket block. The second will be in Cedar Hill on Monday and Tuesday, July 13 & 14 and will feature a block called Addie’s Delight. Both workshops are all day (9-2). The cost of each workshop is $100, plus $25 for the optional kit for the block. Last I heard, there are one or two spots available in each workshop, and there is always the chance of a cancellation. If you are interested in attending a workshop, contact Katrina ASAP, (817) 691-5433.
5. TAQG meetings for 2015 are from 10 am until noon at Garden Ridge Church of Christ, 102 N Garden Ridge Blvd. in Lewisville. The tentative topics for the breakout sessions each month are:
July 28th … Info about sales tax
September 29th … TBD
November 17th /// Info about programs/speakers (10 a.m.–2 p.m.)
If anyone is interested in attending the July meeting, please do so. I cannot attend. If you want to tag along in either September or November, please let Katrina know. Nancy Mills-Dickens and Janice Overton accompanied Katrina to the May meeting. Thanks Nancy and Janice! We had a great time.
6. Remember that we have volunteered to help with Rally Day 2016. The speaker has been announced. It is Kimberly Einmo, who has published books with patterns using jelly rolls. Our guild will be in charge of registration and monitoring the Donation Quilts in the hallway next year. We will need at least six people to arrive early to help with these tasks. Please mark your calendars to save that date for next year. Thanks
7. We are traveling again this summer, so I will probably not be at our guild meeting until October. Have a wonderful summer!
1. The speaker for Rally Day 2015 is Kathy Dunigan, an expert on applique. Rally Day is the 2nd Saturday in July (July 11, 2015), at Mimosa Lane Baptist Church, 1233 Belt Line, Mesquite from 9 am until 3:30 p.m. Admission is free, bring your membership card.
2. There are two workshops by Kathy Dunigan offered in conjunction with Rally Day. The first will be in Mesquite on Thursday and Friday, July 9&10. Kathy will teach the Baltimore Hanging Basket block. The second will be at a location to be determined on Monday and Tuesday, July 13 & 14 and will feature a block called Addie’s Delight. Both workshops are all day (9-2). The cost of each workshop is $100, plus $25 for the optional kit for the block. Forms for the workshops are available from Katrina or on the TAQG website.
3. TAQG meetings for 2015 are from 10 am until noon at Garden Ridge Church of Christ, 102 N Garden Ridge Blvd. in Lewisville. The tentative topics for the breakout sessions each month are:
- May 26th: Info about offering educational workshops for the community
- July 28th: Info about sales tax
- Sept. 29th: TBD
- Nov. 17th: Info about programs/speakers (10 am – 2 p.m.)
If anyone is interested in attending a particular meeting with Katrina, please let her know.
4. Remember that we have volunteered to help with Rally Day 2016. The speaker has been announced. It is Kimberly Einmo, who has published books with patterns using jelly rolls. The committee working on Rally Day 2016 met and I volunteered our guild to be in charge of registration and monitoring the Donation Quilts in the hallway. We will need at least six people to arrive early to help with these tasks. Please mark your calendars to save that date for next year. Thanks!
- Articles for the newsletter are due by the 10th of the month. Any articles not received by the 10th of the month may or may not get published in that month’s newsletter.
- The newsletter is published monthly usually within 10 days of the meeting date (first Monday of each month). You will receive an email with a link to the website. The website is: https://qgogp.wordpress.com . All previous newsletters are archived on our website. You may also go to our Facebook page. Our newsletter link is posted there monthly. If, at any time, you cannot find your newsletter or have deleted the email with the link, you could do an internet search for “quilter’s guild of grand prairie” to find our website.
- If you have a question about a program, a workshop, or the block of the month, be sure to contact the person(s) in charge of whatever you have a question about. The names, phone numbers and emails are all listed in the newsletter.
- If you are using our Guild directory to set up an email list for yourself, please be courteous and don’t take advantage of our group’s email addresses being made public.
- Please silence your cell phone during our meetings.