Get the latest newsletter on PDF by clicking the image above.
(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: AUGUST 1, 2011
DOOR PRIZES: If your last name begins with J or L please bring a door prize to the September meeting and give it to Jeri Bush This is a voluntary effort, but most of us like to receive a door prize and we hope everyone will participate. Please bring only quilting related items such as: Quilting Notions, fat quarters, triangle paper, magnetic pin holders, scissors, Pigma pens, etc.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Door prizes for J or L
Hello everyone on this hot, hot day — how lucky are we that we love an indoor sport when the outside is so unpleasant. Those that did not come to the July guild meeting missed a good time. The food was good and the “orphan block auction” was a lot of fun. We raised $100.00 for the Grand Prairie Food and Clothing Co-op which is great. I will let you know at the August meeting what the poundage is for the can goods we brought.
Everyone stay cool and will see you next month.
Marty Staten …August 4
Ruth Goodman … August 9
Nancy Conner … August 17
Joan Vega … August 19
We had a fun time at our workshop on July 9th. Six of us got together and worked on the “Around the Corner” pattern by Heather Mulder Peterson. Two of us worked on tablerunners and got all done with the blocks and the other 4 of us worked on the throw and got quite a bit of sewing done. I hope to see everyone with their projects (either finished or unfinished) at the August meeting!
SYLVIA’S BRIDAL SAMPLER
If you are making Sylvia’s Bridal Sampler Quilt, we have decided to discontinue the monthly stitch group meetings. If anyone is interested in working on the blocks together, let me know and I will see about scheduling a Saturday workshop later this year.
The program August 1 will be tips, tricks, and shortcuts for quilting. I know all of you have something you have learned while quilting that you could share. Please e-mail me your tips or come prepared to share with the group. Quilting is a learning and sharing experience. Whether you are new to quilting or have been quilting for more years than you want to remember, you have something to share.
Thanks to everyone for bringing fabric, orphan blocks, and quilting tools to auction at the July meeting. The Food and Clothing Coop certainly benefited from your generosity.
Our next workshop will be on Saturday, August 27th from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church. Grace will bring her boxes of strips and we will work on the string quilt blocks for charity quilts. These quilts will be donated by the Guild to charity.
I encourage everyone in the guild to come and participate. You can come for an hour or you can stay the whole time. If you plan to be at the workshop during lunch, we will not have an organized lunch. You can bring your lunch or pick something up.
Beginning balance … 1544.39
Program expense (Liza Faust) … (50.00)
Ending balance … 1494.39
- The meeting was called to order at 7:30 p.m. by President Marty Staten following our birthday dinner celebrating the 18th birthday of our Guild.
- The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as printed in the newsletter.
- Grace reported a balance of $1,494.39 in our treasury.
- Barbara Burnaugh has the only birthday this month and picked her fat quarter.
- There were 13 members present tonight including one returning former member – Ruth Goodman. Welcome back, Ruth.
- Sue asked for prayers for the family of her cousin, Norma Mannon, who passed away this weekend.
- Michelle reminded us of the workshop to be held Saturday, July 9th from 9 to 3 at First Presbyterian Church. There are 6 signed up, and Michelle urged us to have our fabric cut before we come. We will order in lunch, or you may bring your own. The retreat is scheduled for October 28, 29, & 30, and the cost is still $85.60 including tax.. If you are interested in going to Weatherford on Thursday, Oct. 27th, there will be an additional $40 plus tax. There are still some spaces left for the retreat, so contact Michelle if you are interested.
- Debi reported no blocks turned in for this month and showed the block for August.
- There was no unfinished business nor any new business.
- Door prizes were won by Barbara, Debi, and Nancy.
- Show and tell included both patriotic projects and regular projects: Elisabeth, Michelle, Sue, Jeri, Marty and Grace.
- Our program was an auction of ‘orphan blocks’, fabric, and tools. The money raised, $100, will go to the Grand Prairie Food & Clothing Co-op along with the canned goods brought tonight by members. The program next month will be ‘Tips, Tricks, and Shortcuts for Quilters’.
- Following the auction, the meeting adjourned.
AUGUST BLOCK PARTY
Pattern in on page 3 of the newsletter.
Our next retreat is scheduled for October 28, 29, and 30th at Victorian House Retreat in Weatherford. Cost is $40 per night plus tax, which makes it $85.60 for the weekend (plus food). If you are interested in going, please give me you $40 deposit as soon as possible.
Also mark your calendars for the spring retreat, May 18, 19, and 20th, 2012. I will be taking those deposits in December or January.