(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: MAY 7, 2018
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Door prizes for N, O, P
- Sue Heard … May 16
- Janet Ward … May 18
- Shirley Allein … May 30
DOOR PRIZES: If your last name begins with N,O, P please bring a door prize to the May meeting and give it to Elisabeth McMahon. This is a voluntary effort, but most of us like to receive a door prize and we hope everyone will participate. Please bring only quilting related items such as: Quilting Notions, fat quarters, triangle paper, magnetic pin holders, scissors, Pigma pens, etc.
Wow! Hard to believe it’s May already. The months are just flying by!
Over the years I’ve been asked lots of times where I find information for this or that related to quilting. The easiest response I have is: online. I subscribe to lots of quilt shop newsletters, blogs, fabric designers newsletters, etc. I read quilt magazines. I follow quilting groups on Facebook. I read other quilt guild’s newsletters. There are lots of helpful resources out there to help you with your hobby.
Don’t forget about the president’s challenge. How it works: get a 5 inch square from me and make a 12 1/2 inch finished block using all or mostly all of the 5 inch square. This block can be any pattern of your choosing and should be made with all cotton fabric. Pin your name somewhere on the block and I will vote for my favorite and the winner gets a prize. After all the blocks are turned in, I will make the quilt, have it quilted, bind it and donate it to a charity that the Guild is supporting this year. Blocks are due to me no later than the June 4th meeting, but can be turned in at any meeting between now and then.
Welcome to our returning member, Patsy Martin and our April guests, Sue Lacy, Ella Bonfiglio, Toni Weiss, Beverly Malekouti and Melody Soroka. We hope you enjoyed our meeting and return in May.
For the May program we will explore “modern” quilts. For the special program show and tell, please bring a modern quilt you have made or one that you consider to be modern.
Thanks to everyone who contributed items for the Arlington Cancer Center gift bags. My goal is to complete 100 bags. We still need the following items: 15 Kleenex, 34 lip balm, and 45 puzzle books. We have plenty of everything else. May will be the last month that I will collect items because I want to deliver everything after the May meeting.
We now have 20 pillowcases for Ryan’s Case for Smiles. I will collect them through the July meeting and then turn them in. You still have plenty of time to make a few!
See you May 7.
Save the date!
- Rally Day will be at 9 a.m. on Saturday, July 14th at Mimosa Lane Baptist Church in Mesquite Texas. The speaker this year will be Deb Tucker. The cost will be $5 for guild members, and $10 for non-members. Check out her web page to find out more about her quilts.
- The first 500 people will receive Rally Day Goody Bags. We are still collecting new sewing related items to use to assemble a door prize, so use your extra Joann coupons to pick up something to bring for that. Thanks to those who already brought items.
- Registration has begun for the workshops. The cost is $79 for guild members. Each participant must also purchase a pattern and any rulers required for that quilt. Last day to sign up is May 1.
- If you did not get a registration form at our meeting, you can download them from the TAQG website. Be sure to mail them in along with a check payable to TAQG to the address on the form ASAP. We are expecting these workshops to fill up quickly this year. Don’t miss out. Here’s a link to the forms http://taqg.org/rally-day-forms-2018/. You do NOT need to logon to download the forms. Here is a list of the 4 different workshops offered this year:
- Thursday, July 12 in Mesquite … Hot Flash
- Friday, July 13 in Mesquite … Love Links
- Monday, July 16 in Cedar Hill … Signs of Autumn
- Tuesday, July 17 in Cedar Hill … Carolina Lily Four Block
- We will begin selling admission tickets, lunch tickets, Rally Day pins, and pre-Rally Day raffle tickets at our May meeting. If you have any questions about TAQG or Rally Day, please contact Katrina Lindley (email@example.com) or Janice Overton. (972) 264-3472
- Silent Auction. (If you have items for the auction auction, this is the last meeting to turn them in.) We have 3 items for the auction. Thanks to Jeri Bush and Elisabeth McMahon for donating them. Watch the TAQG website, they usually post pictures of the items to be auctioned off.
Katrina Lindley & Janice Overton,
The Mystery Quilt Workshop was a fun day. I would not mind doing that again, but in the meantime I am trying to think of new and exciting things to do. If you guys have any suggestions please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Barn Quilt workshop will be in a few months so be thinking what pattern you might like to try. I have a lot of paints and brushes to use so the only other thing would be a board to paint on. I found a 2’x 2′ plywood board at Home Depot that would work. I want more than one so now to find my patterns!
- Meeting called to order
- President welcomed group to meeting
- Approve Guild minutes as in the newsletter
- Approved as written
- Approve Treasurer’s report as in the newsletter
- No questions or comments
- Filed for audit
- Elisabeth 4/17
- Welcome back Margaret
- Lauren had baby Elijah 3/15
• President’s Challenge – there is more fabric available
– Blocks due by the June meeting
– Remember each block must include all or most of the fabric provided
• McKinney Quilt Guild selling tickets to their donation quilt – drawing in December
• Members in attendance 27
• New members: Patsy
• Guests: Sue Lacey, Ella, Toni, Beverly, Melody
• Failure to wear a name tag will result in a $.50 fine
• Next rally day is second Saturday in July 14th
• Deb Tucker is this year’s guest speaker
• Katrina has information on all workshops – see her for registration details
• Regular meetings are the 4th Tuesday every other month. Let Katrina know if you want to attend
• Goody bags are complete
• Jeri and Elisabeth donated items for silent auction
• Tickets are available along with tickets for lunch
• Block of the Month
• Moda Be My Neighbor
• Next month block 5
• Call Christine if you have any questions on directions
• Upcoming workshop ideas twister, barn quilt
• Items for the newsletter should be submitted to Paco By the 10th of the month
• Newsletter coming from email@example.com (Francisco=Paco)
• Newsletter items can be sent to Paco or Michelle
• Stitch group
• Next meeting April 26th at The Woods United Methodist Church and all are welcome.
– 09:30 am – 03:30 p.m.
• The church serves a meal for purchase
– Please notify Grace ahead of time if you plan to buy the meal so she can give proper notice to the church
- Door Prizes
• Winners of the door prize drawing
- Stephanie E., Paco, Patsy, Sue
- Show & Tell
• Evelyn, Carrie, Barbara, Patsy, Shirley L., Sue H., Natalie
- Old business
- New business
• Continuing to collect for cancer center
• Pillow cases – we have 21 so far – continue to donate
- Program next month – modern quilts
• Sarah Parker, owner of Fabrics for You, is speaker
- Be sure to wear a name tag at our meetings. If you don’t wear a name tag, you will be charged 50 cents each time.
- Articles for the newsletter are due by the 10th of the month. Any articles not received by the 10th of the month may or may not get published in that month’s newsletter.
- The newsletter is published monthly usually within 10 days of the meeting date (first Monday of each month). You will receive an e-mail with a link to the website (qgogp.wordpress.com).
All previous newsletters are archived on our website. You may also go to our Facebook page. Our newsletter link is posted there monthly. If, at any time, you cannot find your newsletter or have deleted the e-mail with the link, you could do an internet search for “quilter’s guild of grand prairie” to find our website.
- If you have a question about a program, a workshop, or the block of the month, be sure to contact the person(s) in charge of whatever you have a question about. The names, phone numbers and e-mails are all listed in the newsletter.
- Please silence your cell phone during our meetings.
BLOCK OF THE MONTH
The 2018 Block Party will follow a program from Moda that provided 16 “blueprint” block patterns that comprise the Moda Be My Neighbor quilt.
Quilt Guild members should have received an e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org (Francisco Rodriguez) with the quilt’s fabric requirements and layout as well as the pattern for the second block.
The patterns and instructions are freely available on the web and will also be posted in the Guild’s website.
The blueprints are rendered in gray-scale to allow everyone to color their neighborhood using a wide variety of fabric and color choices. These are very scrappy blocks — mix your favorite fabric and colors to create your colorful neighborhood. There are 16 blocks in the quilt top. The quilt top measures 68 inches by 84 1/2 inches.
If you have any questions, please contact Christine.
- Beginning balance … $1,751.58
- Deposit … $55.00
- Ending balance … $1,780.91