(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: JUNE 1, 2015
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Program items
- Door prizes for names beginning with N, O and P
- Kathy Poole … June 1
- Grace Norris … June 19
- Debora Proctor … June 26
- Tory Swartzwelder … June 29
- Nancy Mills Dickens … June 30
9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.
The following people have signed up for the workshop:
- Barbara G
- Tory S
- Cathy M
- Evelyn M
- Carrie S
- Elisabeth M
- Debora P
- Janice H
- Sue H
I want to remind you to please have all your fabric cut and placed in separate baggies. Note: If the pattern calls for “Blue Batik” and you choose “yellow”, label your baggie with the name on the cutting instructions (Blue Batik) and put your yellow in that baggie. This will save you a lot of grief as we go along.
Remember to bring the following:
___ BRING YOUR OWN DRINK – cups and ice will be provided
___ Pot luck food
___ Rotary cutter (there will be some extra’s there)
___ Cutting mat – there will be some there
_X_ Irons will be provided
___ Loaded bobbins
___ Straight pins/pin cushion or holder
___ Sewing machine and power cords
___ Extra lights if you need one for your work area
___ Your cut fabric (MOST IMPORTANT)
If you have any questions you can call me or e-mail me. I do not check my e-mail everyday, but do listen to phone messages every hour or so.
This quilt is quick, snappy, and a lot of fun.
Look forward to seeing you there.
- Sue called the meeting to order at 7:00.
- The Guild had 1 birthday for May: Sue Heard.
- Remembrances: Nancy Conner has a new grandson and a new daughter-in- law.
- The minutes of the April meeting were approved as printed in the newsletter.
- Barbara reported that the balance in the guild account is $1,425.64. Dues were deposited in the amount of $50.00 and a disbursement in the amount of $45.00 was made for fat quarters. The treasurer’s report was approved and will be filed for audit.
- Shirley reported we have 22 members present and 1 visitor.
- Door prizes were won by Debi Cypert, Margaret Alsup, Elisabeth McMahon and Evelyn Moore.
- Michelle reminded us that the newsletter deadline is the 10th of the month. Retreat in Weatherford is May 14-17. Business cards are available for members to distribute
- Janice Overton reported the next Workshop will be held on Saturday, June 6th. The workshop will be from 9:00 to 3:00. It is recommended that if you precut your fabrics be sure and label.
- Tory reported that the BOM theme for May is “It’s Raining Cats and Dogs” using the fractured four-patch. The May “Under the Boardwalk” blocks were won by Janis Hill.
- Katrina reminded the guild that Rally Day is July 11th and is free to guild members (bring your membership card). Thanks to everyone for the donated items for door prizes for Rally Day. Katrina was also selling tickets for the rally day basket and the Ellis County donation quilt.
- There was no Old Business
- There was no New Business
- Jane Lamb, Nancy Conner, Lauren Charron, Christine Blanton and Janis Hill had show and tell
- Grace reported that the “Stitch a Bit” group meets on the 4th Thursday – 9:30 to 3:30 at The Woods Methodist Church.
- Grace reported the next round of the Border Quilt is stars. Instructions were distributed. Thangles were handed out to those that would like to try that method.
- The program was “oops” – quilting mistakes we make and how we deal with them. The program was presented by Grace Norris and Jane Lamb. Members shared mistakes that they had made and then challenged the guild to find them. Members also shared how members of the guild had helped them become better quilters.
- Next meeting will be a Baby Shower for Carrie Stanford. The nursery is “Super Heros” . They are registered at myregistry.com.
In 2015 the Block of the Month will be a little different. Tory has picked out a pattern for a block. Each month you will make that block.
The difference between the months will be the theme. The theme for the June block is “It’s Raining Cats and Dogs” (see the picture of the blocks on the Guild’s Facebook page).
Each person should make the block using that theme, bring it to the meeting in June, and then be entered to win all the blocks that were turned in. In June, you will make the same block that you made in May, but with different fabrics — to go with the June theme.
If you have any questions, please contact Tory.
Seven of us had a great time at retreat in may. Lots of eating, sewing and shopping. Some of us found a new quilt shop in mineral wells and had to check it out.
The October retreat is October 22 – 25. You can choose a 2 night retreat or a 3 night retreat. cost is $40 per night plus tax. if you are interested, i need a $40 deposit to hold your spot. if you have never gone on retreat with us, we have a great time – food, fellowship & fun!
Beginning balance … $1,425.64
Ending Balance … $1,425.64
The June meeting will be a baby shower for Carrie Stanford. Carrie is expecting a baby boy in August and is registered at myregistry.com. She does not need diapers as she has an ample supply for the first several months and there is no way to know what size she will need after she runs out! Refreshments will be provided.
The July meeting is our Birthday Party! Our Guild will be 22 years old in July! More info to come on what we is planned for our birthday meeting.
Grace and Jane
- Articles for the newsletter are due by the 10th of the month. Any articles not received by the 10th of the month may or may not get published in that month’s newsletter.
- The newsletter is published monthly usually within 10 days of the meeting date (first Monday of each month). You will receive an email with a link to the website. The website is: https://qgogp.wordpress.com . All previous newsletters are archived on our website. You may also go to our Facebook page. Our newsletter link is posted there monthly. If, at any time, you cannot find your newsletter or have deleted the email with the link, you could do an internet search for “quilter’s guild of grand prairie” to find our website.
- If you have a question about a program, a workshop, or the block of the month, be sure to contact the person(s) in charge of whatever you have a question about. The names, phone numbers and emails are all listed in the newsletter.
- If you are using our Guild directory to set up an email list for yourself, please be courteous and don’t take advantage of our group’s email addresses being made public.
- Please silence your cell phone during our meetings.
1. The speaker for Rally Day 2015 is Kathy Dunigan, an expert on applique. Rally Day is the 2nd Saturday in July (July 11, 2015), at Mimosa Lane Baptist Church, 1233 Belt Line, Mesquite from 9 am until 3:30 p.m. Admission is free, bring your membership card.
2. There are two workshops by Kathy Dunigan offered in conjunction with Rally Day. The first will be in Mesquite on Thursday and Friday, July 9&10. Kathy will teach the Baltimore Hanging Basket block. The second will be at a location to be determined on Monday and Tuesday, July 13 & 14 and will feature a block called Addie’s Delight. Both workshops are all day (9-2). The cost of each workshop is $100, plus $25 for the optional kit for the block. Forms for the workshops are available from Katrina or on the TAQG website.
3. TAQG meetings for 2015 are from 10 am until noon at Garden Ridge Church of Christ, 102 N Garden Ridge Blvd. in Lewisville. The tentative topics for the breakout sessions each month are:
- May 26th: Info about offering educational workshops for the community
- July 28th: Info about sales tax
- Sept. 29th: TBD
- Nov. 17th: Info about programs/speakers (10 am – 2 p.m.)
If anyone is interested in attending a particular meeting with Katrina, please let her know.
4. Remember that we have volunteered to help with Rally Day 2016. The speaker has been announced. It is Kimberly Einmo, who has published books with patterns using jelly rolls. The committee working on Rally Day 2016 met and I volunteered our guild to be in charge of registration and monitoring the Donation Quilts in the hallway. We will need at least six people to arrive early to help with these tasks. Please mark your calendars to save that date for next year. Thanks!