(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: FEBRUARY 6, 2012
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Door prizes for names beginning with J or L
What beautiful weather we are having almost like a very early spring. I always like the cold winter weather. It makes me want to go into my sewing room and spend as much time in the warm house working on my projects as I possibly can. We are off to a great start this year. It was nice getting to know our fellow quilters better at our January meeting. I hope for those of you who made New Year’s resolutions to finish some UFO’s you have plenty of time to do so. Looking forward to seeing you all in February.
- Debi Cypert: February 3
- Carol Franklin: February 7
- Jeri Bush: February 10
- Sue Taylor: February 10
- Janis Hill: February 20
As quilters, what would we do without rulers? Rulers are one of the three essential elements of quilting. Our program on February 6th will be all about rulers – traditional and specialty. If you have made a quilt using a specialty ruler (Twister, Lazy Angle, Pineapple, X-Block, Strip Tube, or any other specialty ruler), please bring it to show during the program. Hope to see everyone at the meeting on February 6th!
DUES ARE DUE
It’s that time of year again. Dues are due for 2012. We have a great deal …. $20 per year for everyone age 64 and under and $15 per year for everyone age 65+. Congratulations to Jeri for winning the perfect attendance drawing for a free 2012 membership!
Beginning … 1,235.25
- The first meeting of 2012 was called to order by President Jane Lamb. Jane announced that each month she will ask two members to tell, briefly, a little about themselves including how they got in to quilting and any other hand crafts that they do. This will be a way to get to know each of the Guild members better. Sue and Jane spoke this meeting.
- Jane was the only member present with a January birthday and chose her fat quarter from the new selection for this year.
- Carol Franklin announced that she has a new great-grandson.
- The minutes were approved as printed in the newsletter.
- Debi reported no change in the bank balance – $1,234.25. The books will be audited before the next meeting.
- Shirley announced that we have 19 members present. Dues for 2012 are now due – $15 for those 65 & older; $20 for all others.
- Door prizes were won by Janice, Margaret, and Marty.
- Michelle announced that there are still 2 openings for the retreat to be held in Weatherford on May 18 – 20. The $40 deposit will be due on sign-up.
- Elisabeth reported that the first workshop will probably be held in March and that she will have more details at our next meeting.
- There were thirteen blocks turned in for our block-of-the-month drawing which was won by Ruth. Next month’s block will be an easy card trick block made with ½ square triangles.
- Old business: An audit committee was elected – Michelle, Marty, Barbara, & Elisabeth. They will meet following our meeting tonight. We also discussed joining the Texas Association of Quilt Guilds. Elisabeth moved that we join. Janice seconded. Motion carried. Michelle questioned the amount of food donated to the Grand Prairie Food and Clothing Co-op from our December meeting and Marty said that it was a little over 100 pounds.
- New Business: Michelle moved that we give $200 to the Presbyterian Church as a thank you for letting us meet in their building each month and to go toward the electricity we use. Marty seconded. Motion carried.
- Our program next month will be on specialty rulers and templates. Michelle asked anyone who has made a quilt using one of these tools to bring the quilt to show.
- Grace, Janis, Jane, and Nancy presented Show and Tell.
- Our program was in two parts tonight – Michelle, Shirley, Grace and Nancy showed the results of quilts run amok – some good, some not so good in the first part. Then, we were randomly paired and reported back to the group with three new facts about our partner.
- Following the program, the meeting was adjourned.
We recently joined the Texas Association of Quilt Guilds (TAQG). Their big “Rally Day” is July 14, 2012 with Pam Bono as the speaker. Workshops precede Rally Day on July 12th and 13th. For more information you can go to: texasassociationofquiltguilds.org
Before prewashing, I cut a small triangular piece from each selvage edge corner to prevent raveling. The small triangular pieces I save for color matching. I keep a small notebook in my purse with my swatches taped in place with notes regarding yardage requirements. If I happen to be out and pass a quilt shop, I can pop in and match up colors without having to guess or remember what shade of blue, green,etc., I need.
— Irene J. Dewar, Pickering, ON
FEBRUARY BLOCK PARTY
Pattern is on page 3 of the newsletter.