Get the latest newsletter on PDF by clicking the image above.
(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: NOVEMBER 2, 2009
DOOR PRIZES: If your last name begins with K, L, and M please bring a door prize to the October meeting and give it to Sue Heard This is a voluntary effort, but most of us like to receive a door prize and we hope everyone will participate. Please bring only quilting related items such as: Quilting Notions, fat quarters, triangle paper, magnetic pin holders, scissors, Pigma pens, etc.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Door prizes for K, L and M
- Block party block
- Items for the November program (read below)
Ladies, it is that time…yes – time for officer elections. Please give careful consideration to holding an office or committee post next year if asked (or even better -you could even volunteer). Each position is important to the future of our guild and none are extremely difficult. We appreciate all who have served in the past for giving their time. I won’t be there in November – I think this is the first meeting I have missed for several years – but I will be working in Wyoming that week. I guess October was my last meeting to conduct so I just wanted to let you guys know what a great group we have and I appreciate your support. We all work well together and that is really a treasure. See you in December for the Christmas Party!
GRAND PRAIRIE QUILT SHOW
Mary Ann Hartsell reported to Elisabeth McMahon that there were 93 items, and slightly fewer lenders (many lent more than one item). They took in about $500 from admissions and raffle tickets. There was a very nice selection of old and new, with a special emphasis on 20-30s, it seemed. The city has asked the Church to repeat the show next year, probably in conjunction with one of the city festivals.
Grace Norris, Marty Staten and other Guild members loaned quilts for the show. Marie Weeks’ quilting was represented in a quilt of Grand Prairie landmarks made by members of the Historical Organization and given to the city. (For our newer members, Marie was a charter member of the guild, Shirley Lewis’ mother, Michelle Rodriguez’ grandmother and passed away in 2005).
For November: Bring your sewing kit (including fabric markers, if you have them) and a baggie of small scraps, buttons, trims and whatnot.
Don’t forget that if you have perfect attendance at the guild meetings for the year, your name is entered into a drawing to get next year’s membership free. I think there are only a few people left in the running!
Sheila Kinsey: November 17
Janice Overton: November 23
As announced at the September Guild meeting, I don’t have any workshops planned for the remainder of the year. During 2009 we had the following workshops: Crazy Quilt, Irish Chain, and blocks for charity. As discussed at the meeting, some of you could get together in small groups or you could work individually to put together some of the 100 blocks we made at the charity workshop or you could make a quilt using your own pattern. It doesn’t have to be a fancy pattern. Also, you could attend the retreat scheduled for October 23-25 and work on a project there if you don’t have any other projects to work on. We would love to have you join us – it’s a great time for fun and fellowship.
Welcome to our newest members: Nancy Conner, Janis Hill, and Shara Hill-Schreibner.
We’re so glad you have joined us!
NOVEMBER BLOCK PARTY
Pilgrim’s Hat. Download the newsletter (link at top of page, and below) and print pattern (3 pages)
Beginning balance: 1,387.31
Ending balance: 1,417.31
- The October 5th meeting of the Quilter’s Guild of Grand Prairie was called to order by president Debi Cypert at 7 p.m.
- The minutes were approved as printed in the newsletter.
- The treasurer’s report was approved as printed in the newsletter and filed for audit.
- Birthdays: Cathy, Shara, Linda, and Pat.
- Membership: 18 members including 3 new members, Nancy Conner, Janis Hill, and Shara Hill-Schreibner, and one visitor, Chuck Kinsey, Sheila’s husband.
- Block of the month: 7 blocks (plus any collected next month). Jeri wins. Next month will be a foundation pieced pilgrim hat.
- Workshops: nothing for the rest of the year.
- Retreat: October 23-25. If you are interested please let Michelle know asap.
- Upcoming programs: November — see newsletter for details. December — Christmas party.
- New business: Nominating committee: Membership chair and someone from programs is automatically on the committee. We need 3 volunteers from the membership. Michelle, Grace and Shirley volunteered. The committee will bring a slate of officers to the November meeting.
- Old business: Charity Quilts. Grace brought some squares to send home with volunteers to put them together into quilts.
- Quilt Show benefitting the Grand Prairie Food and Clothing Co-Op is October 17th. Marty has the information.
- Door prizes: Jeri, Jane, Susan, Grace, Michelle, Mary. Show and Tell: Michelle, Susan, Wanda, Janis HIll, Nancy Conner.
- Program: Pam Pape from the new quilt shop, Magnolia Quilt Works in Arlington came and talked about everything they have going on in their store and brought some goodies to sell.
- Meeting was adjourned around 8:30 p.m.