(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: JANUARY 2, 2012
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Door prizes for names beginning with F, G, or H
Happy New Year!!!!!!!!
Wow, I can’t believe we have already gone into the year 2012. I still remember when we went from 1999 to 2000 and so many people were concerned about what might happen that they stored up what they considered life sustaining items. It’s sad for me to admit that I have “stored up” lots and lots of fabric for my “one of these days” projects. I would be willing to bet that I am not the only one who has lots of fabric stored up for projects.
With the colder weather coming on, I wish for each of you time to work on a project that is important to you. I have spent some time prioritizing my projects. Now let’s see how successful I am at finishing some of them. I am looking forward to seeing the finished projects at our up coming quilt meetings.
Happy Quilting and Happy New Year!
- Jane Lamb: January 16
- Wanda Cargile: January 25
We’ve got lots in store for 2012 for programs. To start things off in January, our program will be two-fold. First, bring a quilt (or quilts) to show where you deviated from the pattern (either for the good of the quilt or the bad). Lots of times we don’t follow the exact directions on a pattern. Sometimes it turns out ok, other times, it turns out horrible. Bring those quilts that you deviated from and let’s see what happened. On one blog that I read regularly, the author never follows the pattern. She will always cut the pieces a different size and hope for the best. Second, we will take some time to get acquainted with our new (or newish) members. Lots of times, we stick to the group we know and don’t really take the time to get to know others in our group. We’ll have some fun and get to know each other better.
Stay tuned to the newsletter each month for the specifics of the next program. There may be some surprises out there and someone may just be a winner!
DUES ARE DUE
It’s that time of year again. Dues are due for 2012. We have a great deal …. $20 per year for everyone age 64 and under and $15 per year for everyone age 65+. Congratulations to Jeri for winning the perfect attendance drawing for a free 2012 membership!
Beginning balance … 1234.25
Ending balance … 1234.25
Our meeting was preceded by a pot luck dinner which was enjoyed by all. It is always amazing that, even though there is no sign-up sheet, we have a variety of dishes brought by our wonderful cooks.
- Marty called the meeting to order and the minutes of the previous meeting were approved as printed in the newsletter.
- Grace announced no change to the bank balance – $1,234.25.
- We had 21 members present and 1 guest. Seven of our members were eligible for the perfect attendance drawing, and Jeri Bush won the free membership for next year.
- Michelle announced there are still two spaces available for our next retreat which will be May 18, 19, and 20, 2012.
- Debi will have the setting of the blocks for 2011 in the newsletter so that our blocks can be made into a top. Janis and Nancy will co-chair ‘block of the month’ next year and showed the finished quilt should anyone choose to make a block to turn in and a block to keep. The January block is a coffee cup (or hot chocolate or hot tea for those who are not coffee drinkers) and patterns were distributed.
- Ruth, Jeri, and Joan participated in Show and Tell.
- Jane reported that Carolyn Troup, president of the Texas Association of Quilt Guilds has asked if we would be interested in joining the association. Jane will talk with her further and bring a report later.
- Shirley presented red/white and blue/white blocks to outgoing president Marty Staten. The blocks are the ‘prairie queen’ block and were made by various members. Marty then presented a gift – a personalized bag – to each of the officers and chairmen who served with her during her presidency.
- New officers for 2012 were installed by Grace Norris. The officers are Jane Lamb, President, Michelle Rodriguez, 1st VP, Elisabeth McMahon, 2nd VP, Sue Heard, Secretary, and Debi Cypert, Treasurer.
- Jane asked for permission to replenish our birthday fat quarter basket. Michelle moved we buy new fat quarters and Janis seconded. The motion carried. Jane also asked the new officers to meet briefly following our meeting.
- Our program is always fun at the December meeting as we pass gifts around a circle – either left or right – as a story is read. The pass comes with key words and we always have fun with this exchange. At the end of the story, we opened our gifts and showed off what we received.
- Following clean-up of the room, the meeting adjourned.
JANUARY BLOCK PARTY
Pattern ison page 3 of the newsletter.