(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: NOV. 5, 2012
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Door prizes for names beginning with N, O or R
Great meeting in October. Welcome to our two newest members. I hope everyone who is going on retreat is as excited as I am. We always have such a good time. If you have not ever gotten to go you are missing lots of good food, fun and funny stories. Oh yeah and lots and lots of sewing machines humming along.
I love the fall. Not very many trees changing colors in our area but seeing all the pictures of other areas gives us great colors for fabric choices. Nature supplies us with beautiful colors. Happy quilting!
- Janice Overton … November 23
Ten of us wen to Fall Retreat in mid October and had a great time!
Our spring retreat is set for Friday, May 17 through Sunday, May 19. Cost is $40 per night plus tax and if you want to go, a $40 deposit will reserve your space.
Don’t forget if you have perfect attendance for the 2012 year, you will be entered into a drawing at the December meeting for a free 2013 membership.
Our November program will be on November 5th and will be all about needles. Thanks again to those that helped me with the October schoolhouse program: Debi, Grace and Shirley.
Welcome to our new members, Katrina and Linda. Be sure to update your membership directory with their information:
6861 Cape Cod Drive,
Grand Prairie, TX 75054
Birthday: Aug. 4
104 Taos Circle
Waxahachie, TX 75165
Birthday: Aug. 27
The nominating committee formed at the October meeting and consisted of Michelle Rodriguez, Shirley Lewis, Janice Overton, Margaret Alsup and Sue Taylor. The committee will bring the following slate of officers to the November meeting:
President: Jane Lamb
1st VP, programs: Nancy Conner, Janis Hill
2nd VP, workshops: Elisabeth McMahon
Secretary: Margaret Alsup
Treasurer: Debi Cypert
Anyone may also make a nomination from the floor for any of these offices.
PEPPERMINT TABLE RUNNER WORKSHOP
Included in the newsletter (on page 3) are the fabric requirements for the tablerunner workshop on Saturday, December 8th from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Although the pattern calls for 2 fat quarters for applique, your pattern pieces are not nearly that big. Elisabeth recommends bringing some Christmas scraps as well; you may find something you can use there. Or, you can of course not do the applique at all.
Beginning balance … 1136.08
Advertising … <25>
Ending balance … 1111.08
- After calling the meeting to order, Jane asked Sue T. and Janice to tell how they began sewing and quilting.
- We have three birthdays in October, but none of them were present to receive their fat quarter.
- The minutes were approved as printed in the newsletter and will be filed for audit. Debi reported a balance of $1,111.08 in our bank account following the issuance of a $25 check for our ad in the Genealogy Society program. The report was approved and will be filed for audit.
- Membership: Shirley reported that Katrina and Linda have joined the guild and that 18 members are present tonight.
- Door prizes were won by Grace, Michelle, and Debi. The ladies were allowed to keep their sacks tonight as they are tote bags and are part of the prize.
- Our retreat will be in 2 weeks, October 18 – 20, and we still have 2 spaces. Several of us are going on Thursday, again, as we found we get lots of sewing done that day. If you are interested, please give Michelle your deposit tonight.
- Our next workshop will be on December 8th and will be a table runner. Michelle, Debi, and Carol showed the quilts they made at the workshop in September.
- Janice won the block of the month and received 12 pumpkin blocks.
- Old Business: We had some discussion on T-shirts/Polos for the guild but would like a little more information and maybe even some more options. We will discuss again at the November meeting. A wall hanging for the Church has been approved by the pastor with a preference for a religious theme but the same as we have done in the past will also be acceptable.
- A nominating committee was elected – Michelle, Shirley, Margaret, Janice, and Sue T. They will meet immediately following this meeting.
- Sue T. reported TAQG is working on Rally Day for next year. It will be held in July and Sue Rike will be the speaker. They will also be sending a newsletter to the guild so that we know what their plans are.
- Show and Tell: Michelle, Carol, Elisabeth, Barbara, Janis, Lillie & Grace.
- Our program this month was a schoolhouse session with Debi, Shirley, Grace, and Michelle demonstrating different quilting techniques.
- Following the program, the meeting adjourned.
NOVEMBER BLOCK PARTY
Pattern is on page 3 of the newsletter.