UPDATED @ 9:10 P.M., MONDAY, JULY 27: The newsletter PDF was rebuilt from scratch.
Get the latest newsletter on PDF by clicking the image above.
(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: AUGUST 3, 2009
DOOR PRIZES: If your last name begins with R, S please bring a door prize to the February meeting and give it to Elisabeth McMahon. This is a voluntary effort, but most of us like to receive a door prize and we hope everyone will participate. Please bring only quilting related items such as: Quilting Notions, fat quarters, triangle paper, magnetic pin holders, scissors, Pigma pens, etc.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Door prizes for R, S
- Block party block
*** JOIN US ***
Due to a conflict with First Presbyterian Church (they are having Vacation Bible School), our meeting location will change in August to the Grand Prairie Library. The Library is located at 901 Conover Dr. It is on the same street as the Senior Citizens Center and the Chamber of Commerce. We will be in the meeting room at the back of the library.
In case you do not know where the main library is, here are directions from First Presbyterian Church: out of the parking lot and right onto SW 3rd. Left at the light on Jefferson. Left at the light on Carrier Parkway. Right at the light on Conover. You will pass the police station on your left and the big strip shopping center on your right. The library will be on your left before you get to the Highway 161 Service Road.
Fun and good food….that is what you missed if you did not make it to our 16th Birthday Bash! Show and Tell was amazing – what talent we have in our guild. I am so-o-o-o excited about the retreat coming up. A whole weekend of doing what we love to do – no husbands interrupting, no errands to run, no meals to plan and fix, what could be better (the song “I’m In Heaven” keeps running through my head). See you in August!
Marty Staten: August 4
Lisa Boyce: August 16
As announced at the July meeting, nine of us attended the charity workshop and worked hard to finish 100 strip blocks.
We had good conversation and good food while we worked. We talked about having another workshop to make more blocks and put together some quilts in September or October.
I have not yet set the date, but will soon. Hopefully more of you can come and we can get a lot more done.
Sometimes it’s hard to give up a Saturday, but I know I would not get as much done at home because I would think of other things I need to do.
It’s part of our obligation for being a non-profit organization. Think about a date that’s good for you and let me know.
Click on the image below to download the PDFs for the pattern:
Beginning balance: 1539.31
Eddelman’s : <180.00>
Ending balance: 1377.31
The July 6th meeting of the Quilter’s Guild of Grand Prairie was called to order by president Debi Cypert after our 16th birthday dinner, which was catered by Eddlemon’s.
- The minutes of the June meeting were approved as printed in the newsletter.
- The treasurer’s report was approved as printed in the newsletter and will be filed for audit.
- Birthdays in July: Ruth Callahan.
- Remembrances: Joyce Smith is having health issues.
- Membership: 18 members, including 2 new members, Debbie Shanks and Mary Douthitt and 1 visitor, Jeri Bush.
- Reminders: Ellis County Quilt Show will be July 17 & 18th in Midlothian.
- Publicity: Grand Prairie Today newspaper folded, so the last issue was the last time that the Guild will be on their calendar.
- Meeting location will change for the August 3rd meeting. It will either be at Indian Hills Baptist Church or Grand Prairie Public Library.
- Block of the month: 9 blocks, Debi Cypert wins. August block will be Fan block. Pay attention to the instructions as part of the block has to be cut on the straight of the grain.
- Workshops: June 27 was the charity workshop–9 people participated. We will have another one at a later date. We made 100 blocks for the lap robes for the Vets. One quilt takes 20 blocks.
- Retreat: Retreat is full at 12 people, July 24-26 in Weatherford. We will have a short meeting after the regular guild meeting.
- Programs: August program will be someone from the new quilt shop, Magnolia Quiltworks in the Pantego/Arlington area.
- Mary Ann Hartsell from the Grand Prairie Food & Clothing Co-Op will also be a the August meeting to talk about the Quilt Show she is doing at First United Methodist Church in October.
- Show & Tell: Susan, Michelle, Jeri, Lillie, Grace
- No door prizes tonight due to program being Quilt-O.
- Program was our annual birthday party program where we played Quilt-O, the quilter’s version of bingo.