(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: JUNE 2, 2014
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Program items
- Door prizes for names beginning with F, G, H
Kathy Poole … June 1 Grace Norris … June 19 Jennifer Walker … June 26 Tory Swartzwelder … June 29 Nancy Mills-Dickens … June 30
May is finally here and the flowers and trees (weeds too) are all bursting forth to say ‘hello’ for this year. The weather is absolutely beautiful, even though we could use some rain, and makes me so happy. This is a time that I get inspired to make colorful quilts to match nature, and I hope each of you draws inspiration from nature, too. We will be making quilts for veterans the end of this month and will work on our service project for this year at our June meeting, so we will all be busy with quilts.
I hope you all enjoy the spring days ahead – summer will be here soon along with the hot weather. See you in June!
- Sue called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m. and welcomed everyone and our guest Peggy, from Peggy’s Quilt Studio.
- We have two birthdays for May…Sue Heard and Valerie Sellers.
- Remembrances… Ruth had visited Marty in Midlothian and says she is doing well and would like to see everyone.
- The minutes from last month’s meeting were approved as written in the newsletter.
- Barbara reported we have a treasury balance of $1,551.66. ($1,663.51 minus 34.85 for business cards and 50.00 for last month’s speaker.)
- Shirley reported we had 26 members and one guest, Peggy, at the meeting tonight.
- Carol reported that our Guild’s meeting time and place was on the Grand Prairie Calendar of Events.
- Michelle had five door prizes tonight and were won by Janis Hill, Kathleen, Pat, Grace and Shirley. She asked everyone who wanted an article in the newsletter to get it to her by the 10th. She also reminded everyone about the upcoming retreat… May 15 thru 18. She will begin taking deposits for the October retreat at the next meeting.
- Janice reminded everyone about the workshop planned for Saturday, May 31, from 9 a.m. till 3 p.m. with a pot-luck lunch. The theme is red, white and blue. She had a sample quilt to show and stated the quilts will be donated to the VA Hospital.
- Tory had printed a set of free patterns from Pat Speth’s website and had them available. There were 13 Block-of-the-Month blocks for May and were won by Barbara. She also had the instructions sheets for next month’s block..Saw Toothed Square.
- Sue Taylor stated she still had raffle tickets to sell, lunch order forms and some pins. The mini quilts are due May 27 and Rally Day is July 12. Ruth won the game we played at the last meeting and she received a pin as the prize. Sue thanked everyone for the goody bag items that are now ready for Rally Day.
- Show & Tell… Katrina, Tory, Lauren, Elisabeth, Jeri, Barbara and Sue Heard.
- Grace and Jeri stated we will be doing our service project for the program at the June meeting. We will be making quilts for Brighter Tomorrows. They can use a twin-bed size or smaller. More information will be in the newsletter.
- Peggy from Peggy’s Quilt Studio presented the program tonight. She had packets of material and hexagon patterns for the English Paper piecing method for all to try. She also had several different cuts of material from her shop that we could purchase.
- Meeting adjourned.
Our meeting in June will be the Service Project we selected earlier in the year, which is Quilts for Brighter Tomorrows. We will be tying already completed quilt tops provided by the members. This is completely voluntary on your part. There are many ways to participate. Choose the way you wish to be involved.
- Provide a quilt top no larger than twin size (63 x87) or throw , and lap sizes, both about 40 X50 or 60. Tops for babies are also acceptable and should be at least 40 inches square.
- Provide material for backs
- Come ready to tie quilts
- Bring embroidery thread if you have some you wish to donate – Jeri and I have many colors, but it takes a lot.
Jeri and Grace will have the room setup for tying but we will need to know the size of the top if you are providing one. We will be purchasing the batting and size is important. Please call one of us when you know the size.
Grace: 972-264-3307 JGrump1@yahoo.com Jeri: 972-263-8734 email@example.com
Enthusiasm is running high for Rally Day this year! Thanks to all of you for donating items for door prizes and for making the bookmarks for Rally Day goodie bags! I will be selling pins, pre-Rally Day raffle tickets, and lunch box tickets at the next meeting.
Also, if you haven’t yet signed up for the Arlington workshop with Pat Speth, you can get the form from taqg.org or from me at the next meeting. Several ladies from our guild have already signed up and are looking forward to spending two days with Ms. Speth. Contact me, Sue Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Katrina Lindley at email@example.com if you have questions.
See the full album on Facebook.
Eleven of us had a great time at our Spring Retreat! Our Fall Retreat will be October 23 – 26 for a 3 night retreat or October 24 – 26 for a 2 night retreat. Cost is $40 per night plus tax. A deposit of $40 holds your spot. Space is limited to the first 12 people who sign up and I have already received 8 deposits. If you are interested, please sign up as soon as possible. If more than 12 people are interested, we’ll have a waiting list in case someone drops out and is unable to attend after they have signed up.
HURRAY FOR THE RED WHITE AND BLUE! WORKSHOP
MAY 31, 2014 • 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. What to bring:
- Sewing machine
- Bobbins & thread for sewing machine
- Scissors and needle threaders
- Small cutting mat and rotary cutter (some with be furnished)
- Plastic bag or something to hold trash
- Pot luck dish
- Your own drink
- Great big smile
We will be making strip-pieced blocks (pictured above) and sewing them together to make lap wraps for the veterans in the Dallas VA hospital. All fabric will be provided.
There will be games and some cute prizes for the winners. Complete a block and pick a prize. Bring a friend with their sewing machine – or just bring a friend to make your block go faster.. The more the merrier and more fun too!
Please let Janice know you and/or a guest are coming . You can call her at 972-264-3472 or e-mail her at Janice.Overton64@yahoo.com. This will allow us a chance to get electrical outlets set up before everyone gets there.
MAY BLOCK PARTY
The block for the June Block Party is Saw Toothed Square. Don’t forget the theme this year is Amish. Be sure to keep the theme in mind when making your block for the drawing. One color should be black and the other color should be solid. You may make the block you keep for yourself anything you’d like.
Please visit http://www.quilterscache.com/S/SawToothedSquareBlock.html online to view and print the instructions to the Block of the Month. The Quilter’s Cache’s terms and conditions for this pattern ask that it not be reproduced on a Quilt Guild’s web site.