(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: APRIL 6, 2015
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Program items
- Door prizes for names beginning with L
- Elisabeth McMahon … April 17
“Spring has sprung, the grass has ‘riz, Wonder where them flowers is!” and “April showers bring May flowers” are two things I have heard all of my life. And, here we are in the spring of 2015 with winter behind us and summer yet to come. This is one of my favorite times of the year because of the new growth which we witness each spring. The beautiful flowers inspire me to make quilts using the brilliant colors which are displayed along the roadsides with our multitude of wildflowers. I hope that each of you is inspired to make some quilts using these colors and will share them with us at our meetings throughout the spring and summer. See you at the meeting.
When we ordered business cards, we ordered enough for our members to take some and pass out. If you would like a few to keep with you, they will be available at the next meeting.
Thanks to Katrina for taking some cards to the TAQG booth at the Dallas Quilt Show.
ROW BY ROW EXPERIENCE
Travel and collect rows: June 21 – Sept. 8, 2015
Bring in completed quilt for prize: June 21 – Oct. 31, 2015
How about this… a shop hop type event with no fees, no passports and all summer to play? Simply visit any of the participating shops and receive a free pattern for a row in a quilt. Combine your rows in any way to create a unique quilt that represents the fun you had traveling throughout the summer. Travel with friends, discover new quilt shops and have fun collecting rows!
For more information you may go here: rowbyrowexperience.com
- Sue called the meeting to order at 7 p.m.
- There are no birthdays in March. Sue stated the “Birthday fat-quarter stash” needs to be replenished. Shirley made the motion for her to be reimbursed for the purchase of more fat-quarters & Michelle seconded….motion passed.
- Remembrances…Christine on cruise & Carol during her recovery from her fall.
- The minutes from last month’s meeting were approved as written in the newsletter.
- Barbara B. reported we have a balance of $1,324.70 in our bank account….Beg. bal….$1,529.81 with 141.50 deposits & 346.61 disbursements. She stated she will be depositing the $300.00 grant money the guild received from TAQG.
- Shirley reported we have 23 members present tonight. (no visitors)
- Sue stated some ladies from the Ft. Worth quilt guild will be attending the April meeting selling tickets for the raffle quilt to be given away at the upcoming quilt show.
- Publicity…Herb Booth had an announcement of our guild’s meeting in his column of the Neighborsgo section of the Dallas Morning News last Friday.
- Michelle read a “Thank You” card from the Presbyterian Church thanking our guild for the $250.00 donation. She reminded everyone the next retreat will be in May & then in October…details in newsletter. She also stated the web site for the form for our mini quilts is in the newsletter. The quilts are due at the May meeting. She had 4 door prizes tonight & were won by Lauren, Elisabeth, Nancy C. & Cathy.
- There were 33 blocks for the Block-of-the-month tonight & were won by Tory. Next month’s theme is “ Oh Baby.”
- TAQG…Katrina stated she has the 2015 pins for Rally Day for sale as well as tickets for the pre-rally day raffle & you could pre-order your lunch. Rally Day is July 11th & there are 2 workshops planned – one in Arlington and one in Mesquite. Details are in the newsletter.
- Old business…none
- New business…After a show of hands on how many ladies would like to do a mystery block again this year, Elisabeth volunteered to be in charge & will work out all the rules & details . She said we will start in the summer.
- Katrina inquired if the guild would like to order new T-shirts for 2015. Several ladies showed interest & she volunteered to check into the styles, colors & pricing. She will bring the information to the April meeting.
- Evelyn & Carrie had tickets to sell tonight at discount for upcoming Dallas Quilt Show.
- Janice reported there were 10 ladies attending the February workshop & 8 made quilts. Lauren showed Christine’s quilt & Janis H., Cathy, Kathleen, Sue & Janice O. showed the quilts they made. Janice stated the next workshop will be scheduled for the first part of June. Details to follow.
- Show & tell…Lauren, Katrina, Nancy C., Janis & Michelle had items tonight.
- Grace reported the Stitch-a-Bit group will meet on Thursday, March 26th. She also had the instructions for the 2nd border for our “Border Quilt”. She said Janice Overton will be bringing the April program…”Underground Railroad Quilts.”
- Program for tonight….preparing the Santa panels donated by Shirley for the 500 goody bag items from our guild. Michelle had all the holes punched in the guild’s business cards before the meeting & Grace, Jeri, Jane, Janis, Nancy C. & Lillie cut the panels apart during the meeting. Several of the other ladies were stringing the cards & rolling during the meeting. After the business meeting, everyone joined in and we completed all 500 tonight. Great team work.
Margaret Alsup for Debi Cypert
In 2015 the Block of the Month will be a little different. Tory has picked out a pattern for a block. Each month you will make that block.
The difference between the months will be the theme. The theme for the March block is “How Green is My Valley” (pattern inserted, see the picture of the blocks on the Guild’s Facebook page).
Each person should make the block using that theme, bring it to the meeting in March, and then be entered to win all the blocks that were turned in. In March, you will make the same block that you made in February, but with different fabrics — to go with the March theme.
If you have any questions, please contact Tory.
Our Spring 2015 Retreat is May 14-17 and our Fall 2015 Retreat will be October 22-25.
Both of these retreats will be at Victorian House Retreat in
Cost is $40 per night plus tax with a $40 deposit due when you reserve your spot. You may do a 3 night retreat (Thursday-Sunday) or a 2 night retreat (Friday-Sunday) Space is limited to the first 12 people to sign up. If more than 12 people want to go, we will have a waiting list.
For those of you that have never been on a quilt retreat, we have lots of fun sewing, shopping and eating.
Retreating is a great way to get to know fellow Guild members.
Beginning balance … $1,324.70
Texas Association of Quilt Guilds Grant … 300.00
Total Deposits … 300.00
Check #1101 (Charity Quilt Fleece) … (107.07)
Check #1102 (Business Cards) … (96.99)
Total Disbursements … (204.06)
Ending Balance … $1,420.64
The April program will feature one of our own members. Janice Overton will do the program on the importance of the Underground Railroad in the freedom of slaves. The use of quilts and the patterns within them gave the slaves hope for safe travel out of the South.
If you took home fleece blankets to complete (our February program), they should be returned to Grace no later than the April meeting. If you have some at home and won’t be at the April meeting, contact Grace to arrange to get them to her. There are approximately 50 completed.
Grace will have the instructions for the next border in the Border Quilt project – Border 3 (Border 1 was flying geese, Border 2 was the 3 strips with the 9 patch corners). Bring your project if you wish to share your progress.
Grace and Jane
- Articles for the newsletter are due by the 10th of the month. Any articles not received by the 10th of the month may or may not get published in that month’s newsletter.
- The newsletter is published monthly usually within 10 days of the meeting date (first Monday of each month). You will receive an email with a link to the website. The website is: https://qgogp.wordpress.com . All previous newsletters are archived on our website. You may also go to our Facebook page. Our newsletter link is posted there monthly. If, at any time, you cannot find your newsletter or have deleted the email with the link, you could do an internet search for “quilter’s guild of grand prairie” to find our website.
- If you have a question about a program, a workshop, or the block of the month, be sure to contact the person(s) in charge of whatever you have a question about. The names, phone numbers and emails are all listed in the newsletter.
- If you are using our Guild directory to set up an email list for yourself, please be courteous and don’t take advantage of our group’s email addresses being made public.
- Please silence your cell phone during our meetings.
TAQG RELLY DAY
TAQG Information…Rally Day is Saturday, July 11 at Mimosa Lane Baptist Church in Mesquite. Admission is free to members of member guilds if you bring your membership card. A lunch from Panera Bread will be available. Lunch tickets are available for $10 from Katrina Lindley.
Katrina also has Rally Day pins for sale for $5. She will have them at the next few meetings. She also has pre-rally day raffle basket tickets, which are $1 each or 6 for $5. The speaker this year is Kathy Dunigan, an expert on applique. There are two workshops this year, each with a different title. The first workshop, entitled “Baltimore Hanging Basket” is on Thursday and Friday, July 9 & 10 in Mesquite. The second workshop, entitled “Addie’s Delight” is on Monday and Tuesday, July 13 & 14 at Trinity UMC in Arlington. Each workshop costs $100 for TAQG members. A kit will be available by Kathy for an additional $25. You may obtain an application form from Katrina. If you are interested, please sign up as soon as possible, as the workshops are filling up quickly.
TRADITIONAL BUT NOT TRADITIONAL WORKSHOP
June 6 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Bring your pot luck lunch.
I will have colored pictures of the finished quilts so you can decide which type of quilt look you are seeking and if you want to learn the particulars about this quilt. Remember we need at least 5 people to have this workshop.
Cutting instructions will be e-mailed to everyone who signs up for the workshop at the April meeting. That will give you about a month to get it cut out. Workshops are always a lot of fun and there will be prizes too.
See you at the April meeting and come prepared to join the fun!