(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: JANUARY 6, 2014
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Door prizes for names beginning with M, N
Jane Lamb … January 15
Wanda Cargile … January 25
I am always excited as a new year begins because I have a chance to reflect on the previous year and make plans for the coming year. My plans always are to spend more time with my family and do more quilting as these are two very important things to me. I look forward to the coming year in the Guild and the new experiences which will come with our new officers and new ideas. Please feel free to call me if you have any questions, problems, or suggestions so that we can make this a great Guild year. Happy New Year to each of you – be safe and I will see you at the January 6th meeting.
LINKS TO ATTACHMENTS IN PRINTED NEWSLETTER
DUES ARE DUE
Dues for 2014 are due at the January meeting. Regular members are $20 and $15 for those 65 and older.
- Jane called the meeting to order and gave the blessing for our Christmas pot-luck dinner.
- Jane welcomed guest Evelyn Moore who has a fabric shop. Angels & Moore, in Irving. She had a business card for each of us with a coupon for a free fat-quarter.
- Birthdays: Michelle and Shirley share birthdays on December 15th.
- Remembrances: Grace has a December wedding anniversary to celebrate, Vickie Bramblet is ill and sadly Pat Johnson’s son -in-law has passed away.
- The minutes for the November meeting were approved as written in the newsletter.
- Debi reported no change in our bank balance of $1,236.51 and this will be filed for audit.
- There were 24 members and 1 guest present tonight.
- Tory won the drawing for perfect attendance for 2013 and she does not pay guild dues for 2014.
- Nancy won the four B-O-M blocks for December. Tory will be doing the B-O-M for next year with Amish quilt blocks as the theme. She had a brief summery on Amish quilting and also the directions for the January block… Amish Diamond to pass out to each of us.
- If you are making a set of blocks to give away & 1 set to keep, you will need 3 yds. black fabric and 1/2 yd. of 6 different solid color fabrics.
- Grace had the information sheet for the January program which will be a “Make & Take .” We need to bring 1 – 9 1/2″ pieced block and 1 – 9 1/2″ coordinating square and your sewing kit (needles, pins, etc.)
n Janice reported she is trying to make arrangements to hold a workshop in February or March… details to follow at a later meeting.
- Michelle reminded everyone to send in their articles or information on up-coming events as early as possible for the newsletter.
- Elisabeth reported the workshop held on November 16th had the theme “cut-up pinwheels.” Shirley, Sue H., Michelle and Elisabeth showed us the unusual designs they came up with for their quilts.
- Jane, Carol, Sue H., Nancy C., Sue T., Kathleen, Tory, Grace and Evelyn had really nice items for Show & Tell.
- Nancy and Janis held a short but entertaining ceremony (with chocolate candy) to install the new officers for 2014. President: Sue Heard; First Vice-Presidents, Programs: Grace Norris and Jeri Bush; Second Vice-President, Workshops: Janice Overton; Secretary: Margaret Alsup; and Treasurer: Barbara Burnaugh.
- After this we gathered in a circle for our gift exchange. Janis read a story with lots of lefts and rights to determine what gift you actually got to keep… lots of fun.
- Meeting adjourned.
Thank you to each of you who made a block for me. After the December guild meeting, I looked at all of them and was touched by how beautiful they are. The ones who had names on them showed each of your personalities. It’s interesting to see how each of us choose a color combination that we like. I love all of the blocks. I am looking forward to putting them together and then when finished snuggling under the warmth and kindness of my quilter friends. Thank you again for such a special gift. It was a pleasure to serve as president of the guild. Looking forward to many more great times together. Continued happy quilting!
The first workshop of 2014 is scheduled for February 15 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Grand Prairie (same as usual). Lunch will be potluck – please bring a dish to share.
The pattern has at least one technique you may or may not know how to do. The pattern is a star within a star.
If you are interested in participating, please let Janice Overton know: email@example.com or 972-264-3472. Cutting instructions and suggested colors will be provided at sign-up.
If you sign up and cannot attend, please let Janice know. There is a 5 person minimum for the workshop to make.
The Guild donated 104.5 pounds of food plus $20 to give to the Grand Prairie Co-op after our December meeting.
JANUARY BLOCK PARTY
Pattern is on pages 3-4 of the newsletter.