(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: OCTOBER 6, 2014
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Program items
- Door prizes for names beginning with O, P or R
Pat Johnson … October 11
Shara Hill-Scheibner … October 17
Cathy Mullin … October 27
Christine Blanton … October 28
Projects, projects, projects! Almost seems like the faster I go, the behinder I get. Anyone else ever feel the same way? Christmas is just around the corner and I am still working on July projects! I just hope that some of the wonderful tips I heard at the September meeting will help me be ready for Christmas when December arrives. If you need some inspiration, there are several quilt shows in September and October that are in the metroplex area – just check your newsletter for a list. We missed those who were unable to attend the September meeting and look forward to seeing you at the October meeting. Until then, be safe and happy quilting.
- Sue called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
- We have four birthdays for September …Lillie, Margaret, Robyn and Evelyn.
- Katrina announced she and her husband had celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary with family and friends. It was also announced Sue Taylor and her husband will be moving to San Antonio very soon.
- The minutes from last month’s meeting were approved as written in the newsletter.
- Barbara reported we have a balance of $1,150.96 in the guild’s bank account. ($1,232.97 minus 82.01 for batting=$1,150.96)
- Shirley stated that we have 21 members and 1 guest (Barbara Garner) present at tonight’s meeting. Sue explained about all the informational hand-outs that were available.
- Michelle reported the next retreat is planned for Oct. 23rd thru 26th. There is a limit of 12 that can attend and 8 have signed-up so far to go. She needs your deposit as soon as possible…$40 plus tax per night. She also had 6 door prizes tonight. Evelyn has donated 2 scissor sharpenings from Angels and Moore and they were won by Katrina and Debi. Books were won by Shirley, Tory, Sue Heard and Nancy Mills-Dickens.
- Janice reminded everyone about the workshop scheduled for Saturday, October 4th from 9 till 3. You will be making “Carpenter’s Star” in any size you choose and should take about 4 hours to complete. She had the directions and fabric requirements available tonight.
- Lillie won the 11 block-of-the-month blocks for this month. Tory had the instructions for next month’s block …Amish Jacob’s Ladder.
- Katrina reported the next Texas Association of Quilt Guilds meeting will be Tuesday, September 23rd. She will be getting all the details and information about a challenge for each guild using Pat Speth’s nickel quilts as the theme. Which guild can make the most nickel quilts (any size) by Rally Day, July 2015.Sue reminded us about our mystery quilt blocks (the 3 fat-quarters in the brown paper bag that were handed out early in the year) will be due at the December meeting. She also stated we will need to form a nominating committee at next month’s meeting to elect our officers for 2015.
- Show and Tell….Several ladies had beautiful quilts to show…..Michelle, Barbara, Tory, Nancy Mills-Dickens and Shirley.
- Jane had a special request for the ladies of the guild…her daughter-in-law and a group of her friends would love to learn to sew. Several ladies volunteered to share their sewing talents with them. Please check with Jane on time and place.
- Grace reported the Stitch-a-Bit Group had met last Thursday, the 28th. She encouraged all who could to come and enjoy sewing together. The group meets on the 4th Thursday of the month at the Woods United Methodist Church at 9 a.m. She also had the information for Christine on what was put on the donated Veteran’s quilts in the past. She had an example of the label Marty had made and used several years ago. She also wanted us to start thinking about the 500 items we will need to make for next year’s rally day goody bags….think outside the box. Shirley had a very cute idea from Moda Fabrics on ways to use Tootsie Pops in your everyday quilting.
- Grace said she and Jeri are trying to plan next month’s program on borders. Tonight we all shared hints and ideas we use in our sewing and quilting….a lot of good hints. Grace thanked all for sharing and making it an enjoyable time.
- Meeting adjourned.
The October meeting will be a surprise for even Jeri and Grace. They will present a short program on borders that are mainly featured in the Pat Speth border book, plus some popular borders that work well on many quilts. We will do a demo on fusible grid, and a demo to make a quick table runner for Halloween or Christmas. Come join us for a fun night.
Don’t forget to work on your three fat quarter brown paper bag mystery square.
Grace & Jeri
OCTOBER BLOCK PARTY
The block for the October Block Party is Jacob’s Ladder. Don’t forget the theme this year is Amish. Be sure to keep the theme in mind when making your block for the drawing. One color should be black and the other color should be solid. You may make the block you keep for yourself anything you’d like.
Please visit http://www.quilterscache.com/J/JacobsLadderBlock.html online to view and print the instructions to the Block of the Month. The Quilter’s Cache’s terms and conditions for this pattern ask that it not be reproduced on a Quilt Guild’s web site.
GET IT DONE WORKSHOP
By the time you get this newsletter we will be almost ready to do our “Get It Done” workshop. It is the Carpenter’s Square and takes a maximum 4 hours to complete.
I have the following people signed up for the class on Oct. 4 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.:
- Cathy M
- Shara H
- Lauren B
- Janis H
- Pam L
- Carrie S
- Tory S
- Barbara G
- Kathy P
- Jeri B (?)
I did pass out the cutting instructions for the 3 quilt sizes ( 90 x 90) (70 x 70) & (36 x 36).
Remember any of the quilts can be made smaller/larger by reducing/adding borders. If you need some help with the cutting instructions, or you have lost them, please give me a call or e-mail me and I will get another set to you. (Janice.Overton64@yahoo.com/972-264-3472)
Look forward to seeing you at the workshop.
REMEMBER TO BRING A POT LUCK AND YOUR DRINK.
Welcome to our September visitor, Barbara Garner. Barbara found us online and joined us at the September meeting. We hope you will return for our October meeting!
STITCH A BIT
Don’t forget that the Stitch a Bit Stitch Group meets on the 4th Thursday of each month at The Woods United Methodist Church from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For more information contact Grace.
QUILTS FOR THE VA HOSPITAL
Some of you were interested in the information regarding the quilts we make for the Veterans. Here is the original information that Grace found in her archives:
Blocks should be 10 1/2 inches. Quilts should be 4 x 5 (20 blocks) and can include ties and pockets.
The label should read: Love and Comfort to You. The Quilter’s Guild of Grand Prairie.
Beginning balance … $1,150.96
Ending Balance … $1,150.96