(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: NOVEMBER 4, 2013
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Door prizes for names beginning with J, L
Vickie Bramblet … November 11
Janice Overton … November 23
The holidays are here. Halloween is coming soon. Looking forward to Thanksgiving and then Christmas. And with the calendar changing we are having cooler weather. Cooler weather makes me want to spend more time in my sewing room. I hope you have allowed yourself plenty of time for getting projects finished unless you are one of those people who work better under pressure. My wish for each of you is that you will be surrounded by friends and loved ones during the holiday season. Happy Thanksgiving!
- Jane called the meeting to order at 7:05 and announced the birthdays for October: Pat Johnson, Cathy Mullin, Shara Hill-Scheibner and Christine Blanton.
- Remembrances: Jane has a new grandson and Janis Hill’s son is engaged.
- The minutes from the September meeting were approved as printed in the newsletter.
- Treasurer’s report — Debi stated we had a beginning balance of $1,245.71 with a payment of $9.20 for postage, leaving a balance of $1,236.51, which will be filed for audit.
- There were 22 members & 2 guests, Merry Manci & Judy Weiss, present tonight. Both Merry and Judy are members of the Arlington Quilt Guild.
- Michelle had 6 door prizes tonight and were won by Linda, Marty, Grace, Janis, Sue Taylor and Merry. She also reminded us about the last retreat for this year: Oct. 17th thru 20th. She will be accepting deposits at the November meeting for next year’s retreat scheduled for May 15th thru 18th of 2014.
- Elisabeth stated the last workshop for this year will be on Sat., November 16th from 9 until about 3 with a pot-luck lunch. The instructions and fabric requirements were in the October newsletter.
- Janis had the instructions and colors for next month’s B-O-M…Hour Glass Block (color #1-white, #2 wine & #3 floral w/wine.
- Lillie won the 7 B-O-M blocks for October. We were reminded the 12×12 challenge blocks for November have the theme “free form”.
- New business: Jane asked for volunteers for a nominating committee of 5 to select the new officers for 2014. All but the secretary’s position will be open. The committee of Grace, Sue Heard, Shirley, Janis and Barbara will meet after tonight’s meeting and will present a list of nominees at the November meeting.
- Sue Taylor reported the next meeting for TAQG will be in November …subject -Programs. She suggested the guild may want to discuss our commitment to TAQG as we may need to participate more in future Rally Day events.
- Show & Tell: Kathleen, Janis, Sue H., Pat & Jeri.
- Note: Grace & Nancy C. will have some of their quilts for sale in the Senior Citizen Sale at Amon Carter Convention Center in Ft. Worth this Thur., Fri., & Sat.
- The program for the November meeting…Mystery Program. We are to bring a small-sized UFO to the meeting and will be bringing one home.
- The program for tonight — How to prepare your quilts for professional quilting. Both Nancy & Janis have experience in machine quilting for the public and had several do’s & don’ts to share. Several ladies also had tips to share with the group.
- Meeting adjourned at 8:30.
NOVEMBER PROGRAM NOTES
The program for our November 4th meeting will be a “Mystery Program”. You need to come to the meeting to find out what we’ll be talking about! Also, we will be doing a “Brown Bag UFO Exchange”, Each person that comes to the November meeting should bring a UFO (unfinished project) in a brown paper bag. Your name should be in the bag, along with everything needed to complete the UFO. The UFO should be something that is small (not a bed quilt) and that someone can finish fairly easily. Those that bring a UFO will pick a bag, take it home and finish it. Everyone will bring the completed UFO to the meeting in February and give it back to the person it belongs to.
The nominating committee was formed at our October meeting. Nancy Conner, Shirley, Grace, Barbara and Sue Heard met after the regular meeting and will bring the following slate of officers to the November 4th meeting: President: Sue Heard; First Vice President, Programs: Grace Norris and Jeri Bush; Second Vice President, Workshops: Janice Overton; Secretary: Margaret Alsup; Treasurer: Barbara Burnaugh. Nominations may be made from the floor at the time of the election.
Nine of us had a great time at our October retreat. Our next retreat will be May 15 – 18, 2014 at Victorian House Retreat in Weatherford. Cost per night is $40 plus tax. You may choose a 3-night retreat (Thu-Sun) or a 2-night retreat (Fri-Sun). If you are interested in going, a deposit of $40 is required to secure your spot. For those of you unfamiliar with our retreats, there are 4 places to buy fabric in Weatherford (2 quilt shops, Gibsons, and the Mercantile Antique Store). Food is your responsibility. You can choose to go out to eat (which several of us do) or you can bring your own food (several do this as well). We usually go out to eat as a group for lunch each day.
Space is limited to 12 people and is on a first-come, first-served basis – based on when your deposit is received. If all spaces are taken and other people are interested in going, your name can be put on a waiting list and should someone drop out, you would have the opportunity to “buy” their spot.
NOVEMBER BLOCK PARTY
Pattern in on page 3 of the newsletter.