(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: SEPT 3, 2012
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Door prizes for names beginning with H or J
With back to school and football starting, that gives some of us more time for what we love to do. SEWING and QUILTING. Looking forward to the workshops and of course the retreat. A very big thank you for all the participation in the charity quilts and fleece blankets that have been made. We may be somewhat small in number, but everyone has such a big heart. Thank you to everyone for all your help.
- Lillie Martinez … September 14
- Margaret Alsup … September 23
Our fall retreat is set for Friday, October 19 through Sunday, October 21st. So far 10 people have signed up. Cost is $40 per night plus tax and if you want to go, a $40 deposit will reserve your space. If you plan to go on Thursday, October 18th, this will make it a 3 night retreat.
Our September 3rd program will be a member participation program. Everyone should bring a favorite quilt (or two!) that you made. Be prepared to tell why it’s your favorite.
Welcome to our August visitors, Linda & Katrina. We are happy that you joined us and hope you will come back.
Mark your calendars for the upcoming workshops: Saturday, September 8th from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and Saturday, December 8th from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. For the workshop in September, Elisabeth says all we need to bring is a jelly roll, sewing machine and sewing kit. If you do not have a jelly roll, you can substitute with 40 strips measuring 2 1/2 x width of fabric.
There has been some interest in having Guild T-shirts made. There was discussion at the August meeting about price, style and design. We are looking at either T-shirts or polo shirts and discussed using the Prairie Queen (our Guild block) as the design. We will talk more at the September meeting.
Beginning balance … 1385.01
Auction Proceeds … 94.22
Grand Prairie Food & Clothing Co-op … <94.22>
Ending balance … 1235.01
The meeting was called to order by President Jane Lamb who welcomed our two guests, Linda from Waxahachie and Katrina from Grand Prairie. She then asked Michelle and Shirley to tell a little about how they became quilters.
- The minutes, which were printed in the newsletter, were approved as printed after a motion by Grace with a second from Marty. Debi reported our bank balance of $1,235.01.She also announced we collected $94.22 with our silent auction for the GP Food and Clothing Co-op at our last meeting. Both the minutes and Treasurer’s report will be filed for audit.
- Shirley announced we have 17 members and 2 guests present tonight.
- Door prizes were won by Elisabeth and our two guests – Linda and Katrina. Jeri also had two tickets to the Plano Quilt Show and they were divided with Shirley and Michelle taking one, and Marty and Jeri taking the other.
- Michelle announced we have 8 members signed up for the retreat in October leaving 4 openings. Interest was shown by several people to go on Thursday, so Michelle will notify Barbara Chamblee that some of us will be up on Thursday for three nights with the others coming on Friday.
- Elisabeth reported we have 22+ quilts for teens from the June workshop along with several bags containing crayons and coloring book pages for the younger children at Children’s Hospital. She will have an exact count for us at the next meeting as some quilts are still out. Our next workshop will be on September 8th and will be a half day workshop. We will need to bring 1 40-strip jelly roll (or 40 2 ½ -inch X WOF strips), our sewing machines, and scissors. Our last workshop will be on December 8th which will be an all day workshop where we will make a Christmas table runner.
- Block of the month was won by Ruth.
- Old Business: Sue, Elisabeth, and Michelle attended Rally Day in July and all reported a good time. They felt the speaker, Pam Bono presented an excellent program. TAQG made $1700 on their mini-quilt auction and Elisabeth, Grace and Jeri each made a mini quilt.
- New Business: Michelle said Arlington asked to bring their donation quilt to our Oct. or Nov. meeting, which will give us an opportunity to see it up close. The membership agreed this would be okay. Discussion was held about buying guild t-shirts and Elisabeth will have some definite prices for us at the September meeting. If anyone else knows someone who does t-shirts, please feel free to get prices for us and bring them to the next meeting.
- Janis, Elisabeth, Barbara, Grace, Michelle, and Debi shared completed projects with us.
- Next meeting’s program will be announced in the newsletter as it is Labor Day. October will be a ‘school house’ with Shirley, Marty, Michelle, and Debi presenting short classes. Tonight we will make fleece blankets for Children’s Hospital.
SEPTEMBER BLOCK PARTY
Pattern is on pages 3 of the newsletter.