(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: MAY 5, 2014
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Program items
- Door prizes for names beginning with B, C
Sue Herd … May 16
Valerie Sellers … May 29
You ladies are so amazing – we have all of our items for the Rally Day goodie bags finished, and you brought enough Rally Day door prize items that we should be able to contribute at least 2 door prize bags. Please give yourselves a pat on the back. We may be a small guild, but we carry our share of the load. I wish you a blessed Easter season and will see you at the May meeting.
- Sue called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m. and welcomed guest Sue Maze, from the Ellis County Quilt Guild. Sue brought their beautiful “raffle quilt” for us to see and to sell tickets. The quilt show will be in July.
- We have two birthdays for April…Elisabeth and Leona.
- Remembrances…Linda Ray’s mother has passed away and Joyce Mason’s son is gravely ill.
- The minutes from last month’s meeting were approved as written in the newsletter.
- Barbara stated we have a balance of $1,636.51. (1,616.51 plus 20.00 dues). The treasurer’s report was approved and will be filed for audit. She also discussed the sales tax issue….what forms we might need to file…we need more information and clarification on the guild’s status.
- Shirley reported we have 29 members and one guest present tonight (two more guests arrived later to present the program.)
- Michelle asked everyone to submit their articles for the newsletter the following week if possible. She stated that 11 ladies are attending the May retreat. The next retreat will be in October.
- She also had six door prizes for tonight and they were won by Shirley, Nancy Mills-Dickens, Evelyn, Debi, Sue Taylor and Christine.
- Janice Overton reported the next workshop is scheduled for May 31st and will be “Red, White & Blue”. She had a sign-up sheet available and will be making packets to give out at next month’s meeting.
- Tory had the instructions for next month’s Block-of-the-Month…Amish Shoofly. There were 18 Bird-in-the-Air blocks made for April and were won by Elisabeth.
- Sue Taylor reported she had more pins for sell for TAQG…some new and some from previous years. She also had raffle tickets and lunch order forms. She reminded everyone about the mini quilt auction if you’re interested in donating a quilt. She thanked everyone for all the donated items tonight for the gift basket/bag. Sherry Worley and Donna Petrick arrived to do the program for tonight and they explained more about the exciting and valuable items that will be raffled and given away at Rally Day. Katrina stated that there were still some openings for Pat Speth’s workshop in Arlington. She will be going and she said you could ride with her.
- Old Business…Jeri stated she needed one more person for the mystery quilt challenge if anyone is interested. The blocks are due in December using the three fat-quarters we brought. She said to see her after the meeting so it could be a secret.
- Show & Tell…Grace, Jane, Robyn, Elisabeth, Janis, Sue Heard, Michelle, Nancy Mills-Dickens and Margaret.
- Grace announced that Peggy from Peggy’s Quilt Studio will be doing the program for May.
- Program…Sherry Worley and Donna Petrick had several quilts to show us made from Pat Speth’s books on “Nickel Quilts.” They had several mini quilts to be used for “pin holders”. They also had a fun game for us to play using the 20 5″ squares we brought to the meeting.
- Meeting adjourned.
- Note… Before tonight’s meeting most of our ladies met at 6:30 to work on our 500 “paper-clip cards” we will be giving to TAQG for the gift bags. We completed nearly all of them.
Peggy from Peggy’s Quilt Studio in Pantego will provide our program. She will bring a sewing project. Bring your sewing kit. You will need a needle,thread and scissors. If you use a thimble bring it. Jeri and I will have extra thread in different colors. Peggy will bring items to sell from her shop. Bring money.
Enthusiasm is running high for Rally Day this year! Thanks to all of you for donating items for door prizes and for making the bookmarks for Rally Day goodie bags! I will be selling pins, pre-Rally Day raffle tickets, and lunch box tickets at the next meeting.
Also, if you haven’t yet signed up for the Arlington workshop with Pat Speth, you can get the form from taqg.org or from me at the next meeting. Several ladies from our guild have already signed up and are looking forward to spending two days with Ms. Speth. Contact me, Sue Taylor at email@example.com, or Katrina Lindley at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
RALLY DAY GOODY BAGS
NOTE: We finished all but a very few of the bookmarks for the Rally Day goody bags, so we WILL NOT be meeting early on May 5th. Doors will open at the regular time and the meeting will start at 7 p.m.
Our Fall Retreat is scheduled for October 23rd (3 night) or 24th (2 night) through October 26th. I will begin taking deposits for the October retreat after the May retreat.
HURRAY FOR THE RED WHITE AND BLUE! WORKSHOP
MAY 31, 2014 • 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
What to bring:
- Sewing machine
- Bobbins & thread for sewing machine
- Scissors and needle threaders
- Small cutting mat and rotary cutter (some with be furnished)
- Plastic bag or something to hold trash
- Pot luck dish
- Your own drink
- Great big smile
We will be making strip-pieced blocks (pictured above) and sewing them together to make lap wraps for the veterans in the Dallas VA hospital. All fabric will be provided.
There will be games and some cute prizes for the winners. Complete a block and pick a prize.
Bring a friend with their sewing machine – or just bring a friend to make your block go faster.. The more the merrier and more fun too!
Please let Janice know you and/or a guest are coming . You can call her at 972-264-3472 or e-mail her at Janice.Overton64@yahoo.com. This will allow us a chance to get electrical outlets set up before everyone gets there.
MAY BLOCK PARTY
The block for the May Block Party is Shoofly. Don’t forget the theme this year is Amish. Be sure to keep the theme in mind when making your block for the drawing. You may make the block you keep for yourself anything you’d like.
Please visit http://www.quilterscache.com/S/ShooFlyBlock.html online to view and print the instructions to the Block of the Month. The Quilter’s Cache’s terms and conditions for this pattern ask that it not be reproduced on a Quilt Guild’s web site.