(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: NOVEMBER 3, 2014
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Program items
- Door prizes for names beginning with S, T or V
Janice Overton … November 23
November always signals the start of a busy, busy time for all of us. There is so much to think about with Thanksgiving and then Christmas coming just four weeks later. Family visits either at home or out of town, Christmas shopping to be done, baking for those special dinners, and, of course, projects to be finished. I hope that during this busy time we will all take a few minutes to remember the important things in our lives and spend time with those important people in our lives. You are all important to me, and I hope to see you at the meeting in November.
The November meeting will be a presentation by Rhonda Hughes-Montee from Corner Square Quilts in Cedar hill @ 702 Cedar Street. She is anxious to get to know our group and learn about our Guild. Her presentation will include a short time on getting to know her and what she has available in her shop .She will bring items from the shop to sell.
Bring your money in case Rhonda brings something you need, or just want.
Looking forward to a fun night.
Remember to be working on your “Brown Bag Mystery”. This is the 3 fat quarters you brought to the meeting in February in a brown paper bag. Jeri then gave everyone who was participating someone else’s brown bag. If you are participating, you should bring your completed block to the December meeting where all will be revealed.
Grace & Jeri
Welcome to our newest member, Barbara Garner. Be sure to update your membership directory with her information as noted below:
556 Parkview Drive
Grand Prairie, TX 75052
Birthday: July 11
Welcome to our October guest, Pam McCall. We hope you enjoyed your visit and that you will come back to our November meeting.
- Sue called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m. and recognized our October birthday ladies…Pat, Shara, Cathy & Christine.
- Remembrances…Tragically, Pam Bono, teacher & author or many quilting books was the victim of a murder-suicide. Sue Taylor during this stressful time of selling their home & moving. Jane & her husband who are traveling & Sue Heard & her husband who will be traveling on vacation.
- The minutes from last month’s meeting were approved as written in the newsletter.
- Barbara Burnaugh reported no change in the guild’s bank balance…$1,150.96.
- Shirley stated we had 26 members, including new member Barbara Garner & 1 visitor, Pam McCall, present at the meeting tonight.
- Michelle reminded everyone to get your articles to her for the newsletter by the 10th of each month. She also stated the retreat is coming up Oct. 23rd thru 26th. She had 4 door prizes & were won by Christine, Margaret, Sue H. & our visitor, Pam.
- Janice reported they had a good time at this year’s last workshop. Lauren, Christine, Tory & Cathy brought their projects to share with the group. Next year Janice is planning 3 workshops…A T-Shirt quilt, a mystery quilt & a donation quilt. She asked everyone interested in the T-Shirt quilt workshop to sign-up tonight & she will try to schedule this in February. Details to follow.
- Nancy C. won the 10 Block-of-the-Month blocks. Tory had the instructions for next month’s block…Amish mini bow-tie.
- TAQG….Katrina reported that grant money is still available from TAQG, but the deadline for submitting an application is Oct. 31st. Grace volunteered to fill this out & submit it for our guild. The next meeting is Nov. 18th & will be on programs. Katrina stated the Jan. 2015 meeting will be on a Saturday & encouraged all to plan to attend. Our guild will be on the committee to select the guest speaker for the 2016 Rally Day. If anyone has any suggestions, please give them to Katrina. She also reported on the mini-quilt auction. She said the traditional quilts did not bring as much money as the panel or “ cute” quilts did. Something for us to remember for next year. She is also going to check into getting the 501-C3 tax-exempt status re-instated for the guild.
- Sue had purchased several fat-quarters to replenish our birthday “stash”. Grace made the motion, seconded by Janice, to reimburse her the $16.24 from the guild treasury. Sue also reminded us we need to form a nominating committee tonight. Grace, Shirley, Michelle, Janice & Debi will meet after the meeting. Secretary must be filled as Margaret is on her 2nd year.
- Grace reminded everyone about the 3 fat-quarter mystery block due for the December meeting.
- Several ladies had really nice quilts & other items for Show & Tell…. Kathleen, Janis, Nancy C., Christine, Lauren, Carrie, Evelyn, Carol & Barbara B.
- Grace reminded us to be sure to bring money to the November meeting. Rhonda Hughes-Montee, from the Corner Square Quilt Shop in Cedar Hill, will be our guest speaker. She will be bringing kits & several quilting notions for sale. Tonight’s program was on borders. Jeri had a variety of borders made up to show & Grace had several books written just on borders. She had 3 quilts for us to see that were made up just of borders. Several ladies were interested in this idea & Grace will be working on getting the instructions & maybe setting-up something on this. Grace asked us to be thinking about any programs we might like for next year. She said Jane will be helping her next year.
- Meeting adjourned.
The nominating committee formed at our October meeting. Grace as VP of Programs and Shirley as membership chair were automatically on the committee. Others that volunteered were Michelle, Debi, and Janice O. The committee met after the regular meeting and will bring the following slate of officers to the membership at the November 3rd meeting:
President: Sue Heard
1st Vice President, Programs: Grace Norris and Jane Lamb
2nd Vice President, Workshops: Janice Overton
Secretary: Debi Cypert
Treasurer: Barbara Burnaugh
Nominations may also be made from the floor. All other positions in the guild are appointed by the president. If there is something specific you would like to do for next year, be sure to talk to Sue Heard.
NOVEMBER BLOCK PARTY
The block for the November Block Party is Mini Bow Tie. Don’t forget the theme this year is Amish. Be sure to keep the theme in mind when making your block for the drawing. One color should be black and the other color should be solid. You may make the block you keep for yourself anything you’d like.
Please visit http://www.quilterscache.com/M/MiniBowTieBlock.html online to view and print the instructions to the Block of the Month. The Quilter’s Cache’s terms and conditions for this pattern ask that it not be reproduced on a Quilt Guild’s web site.
Beginning balance … $1,150.96
Prorated Membersip Dues … $10.00
Check #1096 to Sue Heard for Fat Quarters … ($16.24)
Ending Balance $1,144.72