(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: JUNE 4, 2018
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Door prizes for R, S, W
- Alice Hicks … June 2
- Grace Norris … June 19
- Nancy Mills-Dickens … June 30
DOOR PRIZES: If your last name begins with R, S, or W please bring a door prize to the June meeting and give it to Elisabeth McMahon. This is a voluntary effort, but most of us like to receive a door prize and we hope everyone will participate. Please bring only quilting related items such as: Quilting Notions, fat quarters, triangle paper, magnetic pin holders, scissors, Pigma pens, etc.
June! The year is going by fast! I was sorry that I missed the May meeting. I had not missed a meeting in a number of years. It’s good to see that so many people are keeping up with the block of the month. Everyone is doing a great job on the house blocks. Are you going to the North Texas Quilt Festival/Original Sewing & Quilting Expo? This is the show in which 6 local Guilds participate. Last year it was in August. This year it’s in June. Be sure to look at the website to see all the vendors and go out and support the Arlington, Irving, Bear Creek, Fort Worth, Trinity Valley and Fort Worth Modern Quilt Guilds. Make June a creative month and be sure to mark your calendars for our July 2nd meeting. It’s our 25th birthday! Until then, see you on June 4th.
Don’t forget the blocks for the President’s Challenge are due at the June meeting. Blocks should be 12 1/2” unfinished and include all or mostly all of the fabric square that I gave out. I hope a lot of you are working on them as I have not received blocks from very many members. The blocks will be made into a quilt that will be donated to one of the Guild charities that we are supporting this year.
Welcome to our new members that joined at our May meeting, Sue Lacy, Ella Bonfiglio and Eula Plummer.
The June program will be on barn quilts and the barn quilt trails. For the special show and tell, bring a quilt that has a block you would like to put on your barn (or the side of your house or your fence).
We have finished collecting items for Arlington Cancer Center. Hopefully I will get the items delivered before the June meeting. Thank you for being so generous in your donations.
We will continue collecting pillowcases for Ryan’s Case for Smiles through the July meeting. More than 50 have been turned in, with promises of more. I hope you can help! See you June 4.
Save the date!
- Rally Day will be at 9 a.m. on Saturday, July 14th at Mimosa Lane Baptist Church in Mesquite Texas. The speaker this year will be Deb Tucker. The cost will be $5 for guild members, and $10 for non-members. Check out her web page to find out more about her quilts.
- The first 500 people will receive Rally Day Goody Bags. Thanks to those who already brought items for the door prize.
- Silent Auction. We have 3 items for the auction. Thanks to Jeri Bush and Elisabeth McMahon for donating them. Watch the TAQG website, they usually post pictures of the items to be auctioned off.
Katrina Lindley & Janice Overton,
- Meeting called to order
- First Vice President welcomed group to meeting
- Approve Guild minutes as in the newsletter
- Approved as printed
- Approve Treasurer’s report as in the newsletter
- No questions or comments
- Filed for audit
- Sue H., Janet, Shirley A.
o Lillie is ill but looking better – get well card sent on behalf of guild
- Cathy Mullin is cancer free for eight years!
- Someone left shirt at Peggy’s Quilt Shop during class – claimed by Debi
- President’s Challenge – there is more fabric available
- Blocks due by the June meeting
- Remember each block must include all or most of the fabric provided
- Discussed President’s quilt – plan to use Prairie Queen pattern in purples 12 ½” blocks; background will be provided. Members will get kit with the background fabric and pattern.
o Monthly meetings are listed on the Grand Prairie Calendar all year
- Members in attendance 31
- New members: Sue, Ella
- Guests: Melissa, Paulette, Eula (who joined later)
- Failure to wear a name tag will result in a $.50 fine
- Next rally day is Saturday, July 14
- Deb Tucker is this year’s guest speaker
- Registration for workshops available during today’s meeting
- Tickets are available along with tickets for lunch
- Melissa, with TAQG, shared samples of the quilts being done in the workshops
- Block of the Month
- Moda Be My Neighbor
- Next month block 6
- Call Christine if you have any questions on directions
- Upcoming workshop will be barn quilt – there are many samples online, including Pinterest
- Items for the newsletter should be submitted to Paco By the 10th of the month
- Newsletter coming from email@example.com (Francisco=Paco)
- Newsletter items can be sent to Paco or Michelle
- Stitch group
- Next meeting May 24th at The Woods United Methodist Church and all are welcome – 09:30 am – 03:30 p.m.
- The church serves a meal for purchase. Please notify Grace ahead of time if you plan to buy the meal so she can give proper notice to the church
- Very few people attend the group – considering its longevity
- Door Prizes
- Winners of the door prize drawing
- Eula, Elisabeth, Shirley L., Debi, Joanne
- Show & Tell
- 6 members shared their projects — Katrina, Nancy S., Holli, Shirley A., Christine, Shirley L.
- Old business
- Still need a few items for the cancer center donations
- Motion made by Becky to use up to $50 of guild funds to purchase remaining items. Sue H. seconds motion. Motion carries.
- Will continue collecting pillow cases through July meeting
- New business
- Marcy shared that there is a retreat in August at the Fabrics for You facility if anyone is interested in participating.
- Discussion and examples of modern quilts
- Next month’s meeting will focus on Barn Quilts
- Be sure to wear a name tag at our meetings. If you don’t wear a name tag, you will be charged 50 cents each time.
- Articles for the newsletter are due by the 10th of the month. Any articles not received by the 10th of the month may or may not get published in that month’s newsletter.
- The newsletter is published monthly usually within 10 days of the meeting date (first Monday of each month). You will receive an e-mail with a link to the website (qgogp.wordpress.com).
All previous newsletters are archived on our website. You may also go to our Facebook page. Our newsletter link is posted there monthly. If, at any time, you cannot find your newsletter or have deleted the e-mail with the link, you could do an internet search for “quilter’s guild of grand prairie” to find our website.
- If you have a question about a program, a workshop, or the block of the month, be sure to contact the person(s) in charge of whatever you have a question about. The names, phone numbers and e-mails are all listed in the newsletter.
- Please silence your cell phone during our meetings.
BLOCK OF THE MONTH
The 2018 Block Party will follow a program from Moda that provided 16 “blueprint” block patterns that comprise the Moda Be My Neighbor quilt.
Quilt Guild members should have received an e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org (Francisco Rodriguez) with the quilt’s fabric requirements and layout as well as the pattern for the second block.
The patterns and instructions are freely available on the web and will also be posted in the Guild’s website.
The blueprints are rendered in gray-scale to allow everyone to color their neighborhood using a wide variety of fabric and color choices. These are very scrappy blocks — mix your favorite fabric and colors to create your colorful neighborhood. There are 16 blocks in the quilt top. The quilt top measures 68 inches by 84 1/2 inches.
If you have any questions, please contact Christine.
- Beginning balance … $1,795.91
- Deposits — membership … $45.00
- Ending balance … $1,840.91