(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: MAY 1, 2017
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Door prizes for A, B
- Sue Heard … May 16
- Shirley Allein … May 30
What is your weakness when purchasing quilting/sewing items? Mine is rulers. I always pick patterns that have special rulers. And while the pattern most likely has a work around so that you don’t have to have the special ruler, I always buy it anyway. In fact, I am working on the “Bella Skill Builder” free block of the month through The Fat Quarter Shop and I have already purchased 2 special rulers! Of course, rulers are not my only weakness. I also have a weakness when it comes to quilt books, and quilt patterns and quilting fabric, and…well you get the idea. Do something quilting related this month. Go to a local quilt shop, sew on a UFO, start a fabulous new project, go on a retreat, take a class. Whatever you do, have fun while you are doing it!
Don’t forget to bring your projects to show and tell!
Due to scheduling with the church, our next workshop will not be held until July. We will be learning how to make beautiful quilts from panels. I will provide three different options for the panel design: horizontal panels, cutting panels, and pieced borders for panels.
At the May meeting I will show some examples of panel quilts with these options and you can decide which style of panel assembly you prefer. We will have a potluck lunch and our lunch theme will be rainbow. Bring some foods that have lots of color, or a food that is your favorite color.
For our May meeting, We will be presenting a program on Spring and Mother’s Day Projects! We will also asking our members to bring in either a favorite Spring, Easter or Mother’s Day Projects! Either one you have completed, a picture of one you have done or a pattern of one you have done or plan to do to share with everyone!
Please remember to bring back your boxes for Operation Shoebox to the next meeting!
- Meeting called to order
o President welcomed group to meeting
- Approve Guild minutes as in the newsletter
o Approved as written
- Approve Treasurer’s report as in the newsletter
o No questions or comments
o Filed for audit
- Current Treasurer’s report
o Beginning balance: $1,683.58
o Three deposits:
o Ending balance: $1,858.58
o $300 due back to TAQG
o Elisabeth 4/17
o Katrina having surgery this Wednesday
o In GP newsletter
o Pins for sale $5
o Raffle for Sewing machine
o Lunch order in by May 13th
o Workshops in Arlington and Mesquite
- Classes are discounted for members
- Applications due by May 1
o Still need donations for door prizes
o Shirley Lewis prepped all of the fat quarters for the goody bags
o Items for the newsletter should be submitted to Paco by the 10th of the month
o Newsletter coming from email@example.com (Francisco=Paco)
o Newsletter items can be sent to Paco or Michelle
- Block of the Month
o Reminder that each person that chooses to participate will keep their blocks each month
o Everyone that completed the April Arrowhead block shared with the group
o One block for May that is paper pieced
- Jeri brought samples for the paper piecing and explained how to do the block
- Paco explained how to print – be sure to print at 100% scale only
o Call Christine if you have any questions on directions
o 28 members in attendance
o 2 visitors – Mary Fulton and Helen Staroverova
o Failure to wear a name tag will result in a $.50 fine
o Next workshop will be panels
- Horizontal panels
- Cutting up panels
- Borders / sashing on panels
- Program for next month
o Examples of spring projects
- Bring your favorite spring project to share
- Stitch group
o Grace reported that the stitch group will meet the 4th Thursday of the month, at The Woods United Methodist Church and all are welcome.
- 09:30 am – 03:30 p.m.
o The church serves a meal for purchase
- Please notify Grace ahead of time if you plan to buy the meal so she can give proper notice to the church
- Show & Tell
o The following members share their projects with the group
- Grace, Pam, Christine, Janice, Kathleen, Becky, Shirley A, Janis, Shirley L,
- Door Prizes
o Winners of the door prize drawing
- Shirley Lewis, Shirley Allein, Barbara G., Janis H.
o Elisabeth also passed out a magnifying glass bookmark to each person
- New business
o Janis shared information on Judy Niemeyer class $35
- Program for this month
o Game night
- Meeting adjourned.
Save the date for Rally Day 2017. This is a FREE all-day event for members of TAQG guilds (and yes we are a TAQG guild). Non-quilt guild members pay a $5 entry fee. The guest speaker is Cynthia Ragone. If you want to check out her quilts, her website is cajunclassicsquilts.com. Here are the dates:
Thursday, July 6th Zydeco workshop in Mesquite
- Friday, July 7th Gypsy Moth workshop in Mesquite
- Saturday, July 8th RALLY DAY at Mimosa Lane Baptist Church in Mesquite
- Mon. & Tues., July 10th Joyeux Noel workshop in Arlington.
More information about the content of the workshops will be available online or from Katrina Lindley soon. There are fees connected with each workshop. Registration began on February 1st for guild members. The workshops will be open to non-guild members beginning May 1st. So if you are interested in attending a workshop, please contact Katrina Lindley.
Katrina and Janice will be selling lunch tickets, Rally Day pins, and the tickets for the pre-Rally Day raffle at the May meeting. These can be purchased from them up until our July meeting.
Katrina Lindley & Janice Overton
- Be sure to wear a name tag at our meetings. If you don’t wear a name tag, you will be charged 50 cents each time.
- Articles for the newsletter are due by the 10th of the month. Any articles not received by the 10th of the month may or may not get published in that month’s newsletter.
- The newsletter is published monthly usually within 10 days of the meeting date (first Monday of each month). You will receive an e-mail with a link to the website (qgogp.wordpress.com).
All previous newsletters are archived on our website. You may also go to our Facebook page. Our newsletter link is posted there monthly. If, at any time, you cannot find your newsletter or have deleted the e-mail with the link, you could do an internet search for “quilter’s guild of grand prairie” to find our website.
- If you have a question about a program, a workshop, or the block of the month, be sure to contact the person(s) in charge of whatever you have a question about. The names, phone numbers and e-mails are all listed in the newsletter.
- Please silence your cell phone during our meetings.
BLOCK OF THE MONTH
The May Block of the Month is “St. Louis Star.”
Please read the whole tutorial before you start!
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
May – St. Louis Star block tutorial:
Download PDF file here.
(How to print a PDF file at 100 percent:)
FULL LIST OF 2017 BLOCKS
Dutch Rose (1)
Another Star (1)
Jack in the Box (2)
Arrowhead (1) — Was Rolling Pinwheel
St Louis Star (1) Paper Pieced
Pinwheel Skew (2) Paper Pieced
Pieced Star (2)
Wandering Foot (1) Template
Crazy Ann (2)
See Saw (8)
Tassel Flower (1) Paper Pieced
Grandmother’s Choice (1) – was Hayes Corner
Clay’s Choice (4)
Weathervane (2) & Assembly Instruction
Beginning balance …$1838.58
Ending balance … $1838.58