(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: AUG 4, 2014
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Program items
- Door prizes for names beginning with J or L
Katrina Lindley … August 4
Ruth Goodman … August 9
Lauren Charron … August 11
Nancy Conner … August 17
Judy Meador … August 23
Linda Ray … August 27
Happy Birthday to us! Happy Birthday to us! Happy Birthday, dear Quilt Guild. Happy Birthday to us! It is hard to believe that our Guild is now 21 years old – seems like only yesterday it was forming. We do still have a few charter members – Grace Norris, Pat Johnson, and Shirley Lewis – and we should all thank them for keeping the Guild running so we can enjoy our time together each month. We missed all of you who were unable to attend our birthday party – the food was delicious and all had fun with the auction. We raised $341 with our auction and, even though I don’t have a total on the amount of food donated, I do know that it filled the back of Barbara Burnaugh’s car. Our next meeting will be our ‘schoolhouse’ meeting, so please try to come and learn some new skills. Until then, be safe, stay cool, and I will see you in August.
- Sue called the meeting to order at 7 p.m. Jane gave the blessing for our BBQ dinner we enjoyed in celebration of the Guild’s birthday. Sue thanked Shirley for arranging the meal and for everyone who brought desserts and drinks.
- We have one birthday for July….Barbara.
- The minutes from last month’s meeting were approved as written in the newsletter.
- Barbara reported we have a bank balance of $1,452.97. ($1,551.66 minus 98.69 charity batting)
- Remembrances… Lillie’s daughter is having surgery on Tuesday and her grandson has been diagnosed with diabetes. Jane’s foot did not heal correctly and she had surgery again. Carol is still healing from her broken arm.
- Katrina still had a few pins available for sale tonight and reminded us that Rally Day is this Saturday, July 12th. She also reminded us about the Ellis County Quilt Show on Friday & Saturday, June 18th & 19th. She will have a quilt in this show.
- Michelle reminded everyone to submit their article for the newsletter as soon as possible. She stated that 8 ladies have signed-up for the October retreat and needs your $40.00 deposit if you would like to attend. She also reminded us the Church is having a problem with the squirrels and we need to be sure to empty all the trash tonight and after each meeting.
- Shirley stated we had 21 members present tonight.
- Barbara won the 8 Block-of-the-Month blocks for tonight. Tory had the instructions for next month’s block… Amish Crosses and Losses.
- Michelle stated she would collect any of the Star Challenge Blocks tonight and mail them in by the 15th, or you could send them in yourself by August 1st..
- Grace reported the first Stitch-a-Bit meeting had 6 members and 1 guest attending. She encouraged everyone who could to come for awhile and join the fun. The meetings will be on the 4th Thursday of the month from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at The Woods UMC.
- Evelyn reminded us about that scissor sharpening is this Friday at her shop in Irving…$9.00 a pair.
- Show & Tell..Christine, Elisabeth, Michelle, Barbara and Sue Heard had items to show.
- Grace stated next month’s program will be “Schoolhouse”. So far scheduled …Ruth/small zippered purse, Barbara/a special ruler, Shara/hairbows, Janis/headbands, Michelle/several rulers and Nancy C./flying geese.
- Tonight’s program was our charity auction. Janis was the auctioneer and Shara kept our spending totals. We had a lot of fun, raised a good amount of money for the Food Coop and we got some sewing items we all really needed. Also we brought non-perishable items to help stock the Food Coop.
- Meeting adjourned.
The August program will be School House. There will be five to seven guild members willing to share their expertise with you.
Tables will be setup for each presenter and they will prepare their presentation to run 10 minutes. We will rotate from table to table and you will choose at least three areas of interest to you.
The projects will be:
- Zipper purse — Ruth Goodman
- Special Ruler — Barbara Burnaugh
- Bows — Shara Hill-Scheibner
- Head bands — Janis Hill
- Special Rulers — Michelle Rodriguez
- Flying Geese — Nancy Conner
- Thangles — Janice Overton
- Grace will share with the group the items received at Rally Day in our gift bags. We need to come up with a new and different idea for next year. Not too early to think about 500 items.
Grace & Jeri
TAQG RALLY DAY
If you missed the TAQG Rally Day on Saturday, July 12th, you missed a great time. Our Guild was represented by at least 11 people and at least 4 of those people won door prizes. Pat Speth gave two great lectures and showed lots of her great quilts. The mini-quilt auction raised lots of money for TAQG and that money goes towards defraying the cost of Rally Day.
Thanks to our members that donated to the mini-quilt auction. Next year’s Rally Day speaker will be Kathy Dunigan from Rockwall, TX. Mark your calendars now for July, 2015.
AUGUST BLOCK PARTY
The block for the August Block Party is Crosses and Losses. Don’t forget the theme this year is Amish. Be sure to keep the theme in mind when making your block for the drawing. One color should be black and the other color should be solid. You may make the block you keep for yourself anything you’d like.
Please visit http://www.quilterscache.com/C/CrossesandLossesBlock.html online to view and print the instructions to the Block of the Month. The Quilter’s Cache’s terms and conditions for this pattern ask that it not be reproduced on a Quilt Guild’s web site.