(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: APRIL 7, 2014
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Block party block
- Program items
- Door prizes for names beginning with V, W, A
Elisabeth McMahon … April 17
Leona Shivji … April 18
I am not a big fan of the time changes each year — especially when I lose an hour of quilting time! However, this change does signal the return of spring and a new awakening in nature along with warmer temperatures. The warmer weather and new growth in the flower beds reminds me that it is time to bring old projects out of dormancy and finish them. I hope each of you is inspired to finish at least one UFO this spring and will bring it to our meeting to show. Another thing I am challenging each of you to do is to attend a quilt show. There are several shows in the Metroplex each year and others that make for a nice day trip. Inspiration and new ideas abound at these shows. I look forward to seeing your latest projects in the months to come. Stay safe, and I hope see you at the next meeting.
Welcome to our newest member, Jennifer Walker. She was a member of our guild a few years ago. Please be sure to update your membership directory with her information:
6941 Nava Grand Prairie, TX 75054
Birthday: June 26
- Sue called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m. and announced we have no birthdays for the month of March. She also said if anyone missed getting their birthday fat quarter, to please do so tonight.
- Remembrances… Debi, during this sad time, Jane’s husband’s twin sister’s husband has passed away and Katrina’s friends who own the Red Wing Shoe Store where the young man was murdered.
- The minutes from last month’s meeting were approved with one correction. Shirley said we had 31 members present that night instead of 30.
- Barbara stated we have a treasury balance of $1,616.51… ($1,446.51 plus deposit $170.00)
- Shirley reported we had one new member joining tonight, Jennifer Walker, making 28 members present.
- Sue reminded us to be sure to wear our name tags to every meeting. This will help new and long-time members to get to know each other quicker.
- Michelle asked everyone who needs to submit an article to the April newsletter to please get it to her by the 10th as this is a busy time for her at her job. She also said 11 ladies have signed-up for the May retreat and the next retreat will be in October.
- Door Prizes…The 5 prizes were won by Nancy Mills-Dickens, Margaret, Pat, Tory and Janice Overton.
- Janice reported that 12 ladies had met for the February workshop. Sue H., Tory, Elisabeth, Kathleen, Cathy, Lillie, Christine and Janice showed their projects. The next workshop will be either April 26th or May 31st with a red, white and blue theme. She will let us know which date at a later time.
- Block-of-the-month…Tory had the instructions for next month’s block “Birds in the Air”. There were 17 blocks tonight and were won by Janice Overton.
- TAQG…Sue Taylor had pins @ $5.00 ea. to sell. She also had the T-shirt order forms available (last night to order) and she had raffle tickets for $1.00 for the pre-rally prize. She also had the forms to sign-up for Pat Speth’s two-day workshop and the forms for the mini quilt auction. She reminded us that we need 500 items for the goody-bags and we need to donate a door prize. After some discussion of various items for the door prize and the goody-bags, Katrina made the motion and was seconded by Nancy C., for everyone to bring an item ($5.00 or so) and we will fill a “door prize bag”. The motion passed. Jane made the motion and was seconded by Janis H., to do the small paper-clip bookmarks for the goody-bags and to have the supplies available for the April meeting. Jane amended her original motion and was seconded by Kathleen, to have Michelle and Paco to order the guild’s business cards and for Jane to purchase the paper-clips. The amended motion passed. We will need approximately 6½ in. of ribbon for each clip, if you have some to donate. They will be ready to start assembling them at the April meeting from 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. and at the May meeting from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Show and Tell- Kathleen, Janis, Katrina, Leona, Michelle, Elisabeth, Tory, Christine, Lillie and Grace had very nice items to show.
- Program…Grace explained that Sherry Worley, who was to do the program tonight, had to cancel because of the road conditions and she will do the April program. Grace will check with Peggy from Peggy’s Quilt Studio to see if she can come at a later date. Grace also reminded the group that we need to discuss and decide on a service project for us to do in June. Fleece blankets like we have made in the past to benefit Project Linus was discussed. Also Jeri belongs to the group “Needles & Pins” and she explained how they make quilts for the children of Brighter Tomorrows. Elisabeth made the motion, seconded by Shara to do the quilts for Brighter Tomorrows and to allow $200.00 to be used for the purchase of supplies (batting, backing, etc.). The motion passed. Details will follow on the size requirements so that we may start working on them before our work meeting.
- Meeting adjourned.
The April program will be the program that was planned for March that was cancelled due to an ice storm. Sherry Worley, a representative from TAQG will bring a preview of Nickel Quilts inspired by well-known quilter Pat Speth. She will bring a demonstration of the seven different designs that make up her quilts, copies of her books and a fun exchange of five inch squares used in making these designs.
vPlease bring 20 different five inch squares, that will be used in playing the game.
I will be selling Rally Day pins ($5.00) and pre-Rally Day Raffle Basket tickets ($1.00 ea/6 for $5.00) at our next meeting. I’ll also have lunch box order forms for you if you plan to attend Rally Day and want to eat lunch on site.
The Pat Speth Workshop in Mesquite is full with a waiting list. Her workshop in Arlington is filling quickly. You need to apply soon if you want to participate! I will have the forms at the meeting, but you can also get them at http://www.taqg.org. The price is $100 for a 2-day workshop with Ms. Speth.
The Cat Bag will be available at the meeting to collect new quilting-related items for donation as a door prize for Rally Day. They don’t have to be expensive, big items. Patterns, fat quarters, and unusual or new-to-the-market sewing notions would be great. If we all give a little, we can give a nice door prize.
RALLY DAY GOODY BAGS
It was decided at the March meeting what to make for the TAQG Rally Day goody bags. We will do business cards with paper clip bookmarks. Business cards and paper clips will be provided. Everyone who has scraps of ribbon should bring ribbon cut into 61/2 to 7 inch pieces. We will be making these before our regular meeting on April 7th from 6:30 to 7 p.m. and before our regular meeting on May 5th from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m . Please try to arrive early on both days to help make these as we need 500.
Our Spring Retreat is scheduled for May 15th (3 night) or 16th (2 night) through May 18th. All spots have been reserved and we have a waiting list. If you have signed up to go and find out that you cannot attend, please let me know as soon as you find out so that I can fill your spot. Our Fall Retreat is scheduled for October 23rd (3 night) or 24th (2 night) through October 26th. I will begin taking deposits for the October retreat after the May retreat.
APRIL BLOCK PARTY
This year the theme for the Block Party is “Amish”. Please keep the theme in mind when you are choosing your fabrics for the block each month.
You may make the block you keep for yourself (if you are making one for yourself) with any fabric that you choose. The fabric for the Block Party block that goes in the drawing should be black and a solid color. Please be sure that you double-check your sewing and cutting and that you make your blocks the right size. The pattern for the block to turn in for the drawing at the April meeting is “Birds in the Air”.
Please visit http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BirdsInTheAirBlock.html online to view and print the instructions to the Block of the Month. The Quilter’s Cache’s terms and conditions for this pattern ask that it not be reproduced on a Quilt Guild’s web site.