Get the latest newsletter on PDF by clicking the image above.
(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: JANUARY 7, 2013
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Program items
- Block party block
- Door prizes for names beginning with S,T,A
What a fantastic year we have had! I can’t believe we are already going into 2013. I remember when we rolled over to the 2000 year and here we are, many years later. I am looking forward to what will come next year. There are so many wonderful patterns to choose from for making quilts. Thanks to everyone who has volunteered to serve next year and to everyone who has helped keep things rolling along this past year.
Happy quilting and Happy New Year! See you in 2013!
- Jane Lamb called the meeting to order and brought our blessing before we enjoyed a wonderful pot luck dinner.
- Following our meal, Jane announced there are two birthdays this month – Shirley and Michelle. She also reminded anyone who had missed getting their fat quarter to please take one tonight.
- Please remember the following with your prayers: Janis – illness in family and loss of a dear friend; Jane – surgery on Dec. 11th; Maggie – a 4 or 5 year old girl with recurrence of a tumor.
- Our minutes from the November meeting were approved as printed, and the treasurers report was filed for audit.
- We had 16 members present tonight and 4 members have perfect attendance for 2012 – Grace, Jeri, Michelle, and Sue. Grace won the drawing for paid membership for 2013.
- We still have some space for our May retreat. Anyone wishing to attend should contact Michelle and pay their $40 deposit.
- Our last workshop for 2012 will be held this Saturday at 9 a.m.. We will have a pot luck lunch. Our first workshop in 2013 will be sometime in February and will probably involve using some of our scraps.
- Nancy won 7 block in our Block of the Month drawing. She also passed out the instructions for our January block with specific colors noted. The colors will be specified each month this year so that the winner will have block that match for a quilt of their own. Nancy also recommended we make a ‘keeper’ block each month and then show finished products to see how different the quilts will look.
- We will be ordering our polo shirts next month after we find out if they are men’s or women’s sizes. The cost will be $12 per shirt, with 2X and larger $3 more.
- Show & Tell: Nancy, Elisabeth, Barbara, and Jane.
- Grace Norris installed the 2013 officers with a very unique service. Installed were Jane Lamb, President; Nancy Conner (and Janis Hill) 1st Vice Presidents (programs); Elisabeth McMahon, 2nd Vice President (workshops), Margaret Alsup, Secretary; Debi Cypert, Treasurer.
- Our program was a gift exchange accomplished by passing the gifts either left or right when those words were mentioned in a story which Michelle read. Part of our program was also bringing canned goods for the Grand Prairie Food and Clothing Co-op. Grace will notify Michelle of the pounds we collected and Michelle will then report this to the membership.
- Following the program, the meeting was adjourned.
DUES ARE DUE!
Dues for 2013 are due at the January 7th meeting. Regular members are $20 and $15 for those 65 and older.
Congratulations to Grace for winning the Perfect Attendance Award for 2012. Her membership will be paid for 2013. Those also in the running were Jeri, Michelle and Sue H.
We had a good turnout for our workshop on December 8th. Many of us got done or almost done with our tablerunner. Those who participated should bring their tablerunners to the January meeting for show and tell.
The next workshop will be on Saturday, Feb. 9, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
We’ll do a potluck lunch. It will be a scrap-busting quilt. It’s a good choice to use up left over strips from jelly-roll projects, since it uses 2.5 inch scraps.
You will also need a minimum of 3/4 of a yard for your sashing. A light fabric is best for this.
If you’d like a head start before the workshop:
- If you are using yardage and fat quarter scraps, cut those into 2.5 strips.
- Divide your fabrics into mediums and darks in one pile, and lights into another. Lights can be cut into 2.5 inch squares.
- You can cut your sashing into 2.5 x 12.5 rectangles. 24 is a good number to start with.
Michelle takes over the door prizes beginning in January. Be sure to bring something to donate to the door prize bags when the first letter of your last name comes up. You can find that information in the newsletter each month.
Keep in mind that the door prizes should be QUILTING/SEWING related. They should be nice, NEW items that you would not mind getting yourself. Used thread or partial packages of needles are not appropriate. We try to have 3 prizes per month and are running low on items. If you would like to continue to receive door prizes, please be sure to participate.. Another thought is if you are at your favorite quilt shop, be sure to ask if they donate to quilt guilds and see if you can get us a door prize or two.
Food collected at the December meeting for the Grand Prairie Food & Clothing Co-op was 42.6 pounds. Thanks to Grace for taking it the Tuesday after our meeting.
- Our January program will be given by Nancy Conner and will be an update on the quilters in Vietnam with video, new pictures and quilted items to show.
- The February program will be Peggy from Peggy’s Quilting Studio.
JANUARY BLOCK PARTY
Pattern in on page 3 of the newsletter.