Get the latest newsletter on PDF by clicking the image above.
(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: MARCH 7, 2011
DOOR PRIZES: If your last name begins with K, L or M please bring a door prize to the September meeting and give it to Jeri Bush This is a voluntary effort, but most of us like to receive a door prize and we hope everyone will participate. Please bring only quilting related items such as: Quilting Notions, fat quarters, triangle paper, magnetic pin holders, scissors, Pigma pens, etc.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Door prizes for K, L or M
- Block party block
Well, here I sit with it freezing outside…I need warm sunshine! Everyone that was not at the February meeting missed an interesting program by Shirley sharing information about Redwork. I have never done Redwork but I now may have to put it on my “to do” list. I finished the wedding ring quilt that my aunt sent me last year all cut out. That was my first wedding ring quilt and enjoyed sewing it while having fond memories of my aunt. I can mark that off my “to do” list…Everyone stay warm and we’ll see you next month!
DUES ARE DUE
Dues for 2011 are due. If you haven’t paid yet, please pay at the March meeting. Dues are $20 for regular members and $15 for members age 65 and over.
No March birthdays.
There were 11 of us that participated in the Mystery Quilt Workshop on February 12th. We had a great time and the food was wonderful as always. I hope to see everyone’s finished Mystery at the next Guild meeting on March 7th. If you don’t finish, please bring what you have for show and tell.
SYLVIA’S BRIDAL SAMPLER
We restarted the Stitch a Bit Stitch Group in January. We will meet the 4th Monday of each month (March 28th). Many of us are working on Sylvia’s Bridal Sampler quilt blocks (this is the quilt made popular by Jennifer Chiaverini and her Elm Creek Quilts series of books), but anyone may come and work on anything they wish. The blocks for March are: Star of the Orient, Chinese Coin and Bachelor’s Puzzle. We’re planning on working on the blocks at the Stitch Group meetings. You’ll need to bring whatever you need to work on them: your machine, your cutting mat, rotary cutter, etc. We’ll meet at The Woods United Methodist Church in Grand Prairie which is on Bardin Road just west of Robinson.
Guild member Nancy Conner will give our program March 7. She will talk about her return trip to Vietnam last summer and her visit with the ladies at Viet Nam Quilts. It will be exciting to hear about her adventures and I hope you will join us.
Beginning balance: 1369.39
Ending balance: 1684.39
- The February 7, 2011 meeting was called to order by Marty Staten at 7 p.m.
- The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as published in the newsletter. The minutes were filed for audit.
- Treasurer Grace Norris reported that she has deposited $315 since our last meeting giving us a balance of $1,684.39.
- We have four February birthdays: Jeri Bush, Debi Cypert, Carol Franklin, and Janis Hill.
- Cathy Mullins announced that we had 14 members present tonight and Marty reminded everyone that it is time to pay our dues.
- We had a joy raised tonight – Jane Lamb is going to be a grandmother for the first time.
- Michelle Rodriguez reminded everyone that the deadline for the newsletter is the 10th of each month. Anything received later than that will not get published. The deadline is only three days away this month, so please get your articles in. She also reminded us of the Mystery Quilt workshop to be held this Saturday, February 12th at First Presbyterian Church. We will be able to get in by 8:30 as Michelle has to leave for a short time at 9am. We will bring covered dishes to share for lunch and also need to bring an extension cord, surge guard, and a pencil along with our machines, fabric and usual sewing supplies. The retreat still has two openings and will be May 13 thru May 15 in Weatherford. The deposit is $40 and is due upon sign up.
- As all of the instructions for the Block of the Month were not in the newsletter, we will have two drawings next month. The rest of the instructions for this month as well as the instructions for next month will be published in the newsletter.
- Shirley Lewis moved that we give $200 to First Presbyterian Church to help offset our usage of the facility for our meetings and workshops. Grace seconded and the motion carried.
- As we have not yet audited our books, a committee was selected for the audit. Elisabeth McMahon, Jeri Bush, and Marty Staten will conduct the audit before the next meeting and will make a report at that time.
- Door prizes were won by Jane Lamb, Margaret Alsup, and Sue Heard.
- Michelle showed us a finished UFO and will have her name entered in the drawing for a prize at the end of the year. Also with Show and Tell were Jeri Bush, Lillie Martinez, and Marty Staten. Grace brought a quilt to show but will do so during the program tonight.
- Shirley Lewis presented a program on Redwork which began in the 1800’s. She showed several examples of patterns and panels for redwork. Grace then showed the quilt she had made for her daughter in the late 1970’s. Next month’s program will be presented by Nancy Conner on Vietnamese quilts.
- There being no further business, the meeting adjourned.
MARCH BLOCK PARTY
Pattern is on page 3 of the newsletter.
We have reached our maximum for our retreat in May. If you are interested in being put on a waiting list in case someone is unable to make it, please let me know.