Get the latest newsletter on PDF by clicking the image above.
(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: AUGUST 2, 2010
DOOR PRIZES: If your last name begins with F, G or H please bring a door prize to the April meeting and give it to Sue Heard This is a voluntary effort, but most of us like to receive a door prize and we hope everyone will participate. Please bring only quilting related items such as: Quilting Notions, fat quarters, triangle paper, magnetic pin holders, scissors, Pigma pens, etc.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Door prizes for F, G or H
- Block party block
- Items for the August program (read below)
Good Morning to Everyone.
For all who missed the July meeting…. We had a great time. It was the Guild’s anniversary and we celebrated with a BBQ dinner from Eddlemon’s. It was great. The program was a lot of fun with members bringing orphan blocks or projects that we no longer wanted so we could auction them off. WOW! Some went for a lot of money. The proceeds from the auction and the canned goods we collected amounted to $163 in cash and 94 lbs. of canned goods for the Grand Prairie Co-op. We had a lot of fun in addition to helping others with our $’s and food. I am sooooo glad I joined the Grand Prairie Quilt Guild.
Till next time!
We had a great turnout at our July meeting and welcome our three visitors, Norma Blackstone, Susan Grewing, and Cindy Smith. We hope you come back to our August meeting and join our Guild.
Marty Staten… August 4
Nancy Conner … August 17
Judy Meador … August 25
We have booked our next two retreats. The fall retreat is scheduled for October 22-24, 2010. Cost will be $40 per person per night plus tax. This does not include any food. If you are interested in going, I need your deposit as soon as possible.
Our spring retreat will be May 13 – 15, 2011 and will also be $40 per person per night plus tax. I will collect deposits for that in December.
If you have any questions, please let me know.
August is back to school month in Texas, so we’ll have a “school house” program on August 2. There will be five classes to attend and we’ll divide into small groups so only a few will attend each class at a time. The classes will include:
- Elisabeth McMahon will demonstrate how to make the pillowcases several of us did at retreat.
- Janis Hill will show how to stabilize t-shirt fabric.
- Susan Grewing will demo prairie points using a special ruler.
- Grace Norris will have a demo on paper piecing.
- Shirley Lewis will have a demo on mitering borders.
For the special show and tell, please bring something you made using a technique that was new for you. Also bring any school themed quilts.
Elisabeth McMahon & Shirley Lewis
Don’t forget perfect attendance! If you have perfect attendance at the Guild meetings throughout the year, you are entered into a drawing at the December meeting for a free membership for the next year!
Our next workshop will be on Saturday, July 24th at First Presbyterian Church from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. This will be a charity workshop. We will work on making string quilts from Grace’s strips. She will have all the fabric and the foundation blocks for us to use. Come for an hour or two or come for the whole time. Any and all help will be appreciated. Lunch will be on your own or we will order out for the people there at lunch time.
Beginning balance: 1494.39
Expenditures (Eddlemon’s birthday dinner): (150.00)
Ending balance: 1344.39
Thanks to Grace for taking the food collected for the Grand Prairie Food and Clothing Co-Op. We had 94 pounds of food and $163 from our Auction. They were very excited and requested to put the money in their Crisis fund which was almost depleted.
- The 17th Anniversary of the Quilter’s Guild Grand Prairie was opened by Grace saying grace for the meal catered by Eddleman’s. The food was delicious and the fellowship even better.
- The July 5th meeting of the GP Quilt Guild was called to order by Marty.
- Minutes for the June meeting were approved as written in the newsletter.
- Grace gave the treasurer’s report with beginning balance as $1,511.99, Disbursement of $17.60 for stamps with ending balance of$I,494.39.
- There were no July birthdays.
- There were 22 present including 3 visitors.
- August program will be schoolhouse-demos by members.
- The next workshop will be July 24th 9·3. Come and go charity workshop using Grace’s strips.
- The retreat will be October 22, 23 and 24”. $40.00 per day.
- Block of the month was donated to the Auction. Next month’s block will be the Strawberry Basket.
- New business: Marty informed us she will not be present at the August meeting and Shirley will preside.
- Show and tell had lots of memories attached from old projects.
- Auction: And then the FUN began! There were many items and lots of bids. Everyone had a good time and the Food Pantry benefited greatly.Meeting adjourned.
AUGUST BLOCK PARTY
Strawberry Basket: Pattern is page 3 and the insert of the newsletter.