Get the latest newsletter on PDF by clicking the image above.
(If you don’t have Acrobat Reader installed, you can download it here.)
NEXT MEETING: FEBRUARY 1, 2010
DOOR PRIZES: If your last name begins with C and F please bring a door prize to the October meeting and give it to Sue Heard This is a voluntary effort, but most of us like to receive a door prize and we hope everyone will participate. Please bring only quilting related items such as: Quilting Notions, fat quarters, triangle paper, magnetic pin holders, scissors, Pigma pens, etc.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MEETING
- Name tag
- Door prizes for C and F
- Block party block
- Items for the January program (read below)
JANUARY SHOW-AND-TELL PHOTOS
Click here to view the album on Facebook.
Debi Cypert: February 3
Carol Franklin: February 7
Janis Hill: February 20
I’d like to thank everyone for giving me a wonderful and memorable baby shower. I was completely surprised and had so much fun! I love all of the generous gifts and will think of you all fondly when Thor and I use them. I can’t think of a nicer group of ladies to have shared that special day with me!
Thank you all,
Shara and Thor
For our February program, Terrie Kelley from Quilt Among Friends will talk about what goes on behind the scenes at a quilt show,how the quilts are taken in, arranged and hung, and what the judges look for when evaluating quilts. Terrie has volunteered as a “scribe” (the person who takes notes for the judges) at the Arlington Quilt Show, so she’s heard their responses firsthand. This is a great chance to learn more about a quilt show for those who have never entered (that would be a great resolution for the New Year!).
Depending on her schedule, Debbie, the owner of QAF, may also come to speak about the store itself.
For the show and tell this month, please bring anything you’ve made to reflect Valentine’s Day, Groundhog Day, or President’s Day in addition to your regular show and tell.
Elisabeth McMahon & Shirley Lewis
The first workshop for 2010 will be on Saturday, February 6th from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church. This will be a Mystery Quilt workshop. If you have never done a Mystery Quilt, they are lots of fun. When you sign up, I will give you the fabric requirements and the cutting instructions so that you can do some of the time consuming work at home. The day of the workshop, you’ll get each step one at a time as you finish the previous step. When you get to the last step, the mystery is solved and you know what the quilt looks like. If you signed up at the December meeting, you should have received an email with the fabric requirements and cutting instructions from me. If you didn’t, I will have copies at the January meeting. I will be taking sign ups at the January meeting and the February meeting.
Let’s plan on doing a potluck lunch. Please bring a salad or whatever you’d like to share..
Balance pending audit of Guild’s bank account.
- The December 7 meeting of the Quilter’s Guild of Grand Prairie was called to order by President Debi Cypert at 7 p.m. She asked Grace to do the blessing before we started our Christmas dinner. After dinner, we had the business portion of our meeting.
- Membership: 17 members and two guests, Jane Lamb and Barbara Berkus.
- Remembrances: Shirley Lewis asked everyone to sign a birthday card for Eula Lewis, who will be 101 on December 12. Eula is Shirley’s mother-in-law and Michelle’s grandmother and has visited the Guild many times over the years.
- Birthdays: Shirley Lewis and Michelle Rodriguez.
- Block of the Month: 13 blocks turned in and Jeri wins the drawing.
- Workshops: Mystery Quilt workshop on February 6 at First Presbyterian Church from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sign up sheet will be available tonight and at the January and February meetings. Michelle will send out the fabric requirements and cutting instructions to everyone who signs up so they can get the cutting done at home.
- Retreat: Michelle will begin collecting deposits for the May retreat at the January meeting. If you have already verbally committed, your name is on the list, but you need to get the $40 deposit to her on January 4 to secure your spot.
- Block of the month for 2010: Talk of new block of the month or round robin or paper bag project. We will discuss more at the January meeting.
- Show & Tell: Joan, Debi, Wanda.
- New business: Audit Committee needs to form tonight. Need 3 volunteers. Cathy, Michelle and Debi volunteered to audit the treasurer’s books at the January meeting.
- Perfect Attendance award: Susan and Michelle had perfect attendance for the year and their names were put into a drawing for a free membership for 2010. Susan’s name was drawn.
- Installation: outgoing president, Debi Cypert installed the new officers for 2010.
- Debi showed the President’s Quilt Blocks she was given. Members were given the opportunity to make blocks and give them to Susan to present to Debi in recognition of her work as president over the last 2 years.
- The business meeting was adjourned and we played the “Left/Right Game” as our Christmas entertainment.
FEBRUARY BLOCK PARTY
Flag Heart: Pattern is page 5 of the newsletter.